Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine dies when wheel turned full lock

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tx_sub, Mar 24, 2005.

1. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

This happened today. First time in a while. When I turn the wheel all the way to lock when at at stand still, like in a parking lot, the engine either bogs down and I let off the wheel or it dies. Is it the ps pump straining the engine? 91 sub 350 tbi.

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

mine dose it to every once in a while

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Don't hold the wheel against the stop! :D Seriously, it causes the pump to work very hard, as the steering tries to rip the stops off the axles. Line pressure jumps up well over 1,200 PSI and then the internal pressure bypass valve opens to prevent blowing the hose apart. Back off the steering wheel a couple of inches and all should be well. :cool1:

4. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

i see. i usually back off as soon as it bogs down. just didn't this time. is there any way to prevent it in the future other than the obvioius don't do it? is it still a problem if you go hydro assist?

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah never keep steering fully turned against stops, very bad thing, less you want to have to replace line or pump

if you think that it dosnt turn far enough before hitting stops then pull the welder and cutter out and modify/relocate them a little but dont get carried away, a little movement at stop is alot at outers of tires,

good luck

6. ssls6

ssls6 Registered Member

A man went to his doctor screaming "Doctor, Doctor I just broke my arm in 3 places"

Doctor said "stay out of those places"