Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Dieseling Trouble

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sta500666, Apr 16, 2004.

1. sta500666

sta500666 1/2 ton status

I recently put a stock 76' 350 from a 3/4-ton into my 86' Blazer. The problem is sometimes when I turn my truck off the engine diesels, I HATE it when engiens diesel. I had my timing set at 4 degrees, and then at 8 degrees. The engine dieseled at both settings. I also have the idle turned all the way down, but not sure about the fast idle if that matters. Does anyone have any solutions?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Re: Timing Trouble

Well, mine does it sometimes when timing is too far advanced , or mostly when idle is set too high. If you had some bad gas or a day over 90 out it could do it too. Reset the timing for the original engine application , and idle speed too. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Re: Timing Trouble

I struggled with the same thing forever. Only fix was new carb and intake. Never has done it again. It is such a pain and kinda embarassing when your already walking away the the damn truck is sputtering and spitting

4. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Do ya know the history of the engine??
    If you are idling at about 700 or so and it is still runnin on I would suspect carbon build up.
    Excessive amounts can and will stay hot enough to ignite fuel after you shut it off.
    With that scenerio I rev it at idle to about 3K and with a spray bottle squirt water down the carb, then take it out and run the [darn] out of it.