Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine differences???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yunit, Aug 16, 2003.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

What is the difference between the 87-95 EFI engines and the 86 & older engines? I am looking at getting a new engine for the 92' and a brand new GMGoodwrench is less than $1300, but it says it is only for the 86 & older vehicles.

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

86 and older are 2 pice rear main seals, 87-95 are 1 piece. 86 and older use the old style heads for carb, 87-95 use centerbolt valve cover style heads for TBI.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

do they make TBI intake for older style heads? Centerbolt TBI heads flow like total crap, a 2 piece motor might be better if you can get a good TBI intake or feel like modifying a carb one.

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

You can modify the 4 center intake holes to work on the carb heads.

Dan

5. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

There is also an adapter to use TBI on a carb intake....

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

the 2 piece rear main, the flexplate are different. (The pilot part of crank is different.) the early block has a fuel pump hole, but you can block it. I think the dipsticks are different. may interfere with exaust manifolds. older blocks don't have bosses in lifter valley for roller lifters. The newer heads can be bolted onto a older block. so you can use your intake and stuff. and you can put your knock sensor in the plug on the side of the block for the coolant. I know the drive pully depth is all different from 87 up, but I don't know about balancer. did you check on maybe a short block? are your heads cracked?

7. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

If I keep the 92', the engine is going to have to be rebuilt or replaced, it is just really tired, the oil pressure is always at like 15lbs and the truck is doggy pulling a trailer with two quads on it.

8. bablazer73

I don't know if you are interested, But i'll be pulling the engine out of the 87. same block. If you want that to start a rebuild, you can have it. It runs decent. uses 1 qt every 3,000. smokes when it starts. It's supposed to be a GM goodwrench engine with 30,000 or so on it. Has good oil pressure. PM me if there is any interest.

9. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Thanks Henry, I decided to go all out, sell the 92 and buy the new Dodge 2500 HO Cummins. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. bablazer73

so, when will the 92 be for sale and how much??
    What year dog are you looking at? If you are looking for max power, the 85-87 with the mechanical fuel pumps are the cheapest and easiest to boost power in. I have been looking for one of them, but there all 10,000 and up still. and i want a 2x xtra cab.