Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine dilema

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by Jonny-K5, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

ive got this 65 gmc pickup that im fixing up into a muscle truck. it had a 350 in it when i bought the thing. i just tore into it thinking it needed some some rings. turns out its got multiple broken pistons, and the tops of the pistons are stamped 080. does this mean its bored .080 over? i didnt know that was possible. anyhow, im pretty sure this motor is junk. i was planning on throwing a few bucks into it so the truck would be driveable. i've got another 350 out of a late 70's pickup. its got 4 bolt mains and as far as i know never been rebuilt. i was planning on saving up and building this motor for power while i finish the rest of the truck. now i dont know what to do. should i just rebuild the thing as cheap as possible so i can get it moving and upgrade it in the future. or buy someone else's motor that runs and keep the engine i've got to rebuild later on. there are a couple in my local trader paper for 400-600 in good shape. and one 327 running for $350. what would be the best plan of attack. i'd like to get this thing moving for under $500 if possible. sorry for the long post.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I think I'd go for the cheap running engine for now. Just something so that you can drive it until you get the "good" engine built. The cylinder walls must be pretty thin with an 80-thousandths overbore! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Go BIG BLOCK !!!! Find yourself a wrecked truck with a good running big block and there you go.

4. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

ive thought about a big block. what would i have to swap over to put one in? it has a th400 right now.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you can buy a wrecked truck with a good running big block, you'll have 95% of what you'll need. Honestly, I can't remember if you'll have too move the motor mounts or not.
    Is that truck a coil spring up front ?? If so, you'll need big block springs. I belive your transmission should bolt right up.

6. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

hmm, sounds like more than i can chew off at this point. maybe down the road i will jump into the BB pool. for now i will just get someone else's rebuilt long block and get this thing on the road. its been sitting for two years and im getting anxious.

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Was that truck originally a V6 or I6? V6 would have had hood emblems and I6 will have a Vin # that starts with an I... The V6 front springs are heavier for the weight of that motor so going to a big block all you would need is the big block and all the accessory brackets for the front. Motor mounts, transmission, distributor etc are all the same between big block and small block. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif