Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine dilemma

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PeteH, Aug 13, 2005.

1. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

So here’s my dilemma. The engine in my truck is pretty much dead.

But I do have a gm goodwrench engine with 2000miles on it ready to put in. It has an edelbk perfmr intake manf, new distrb and msd box, blaster and wires. Internals are perfect. Holly 650 carb. (not the best engine but for a couple hundred bucks I think it was worth it)

I also have some brand new s/r torquer world product heads(67cc 2.02 1.60) that I can slap on but the springs are set up for like .480 cam or so. (for my 383 I was gonna build but someone stole it)

Then I also have some tpi stuff. Not much at all, just plenum,tubes, and manifold.

So what should I do? Put the heads on the goodwr motor, put a new cam in it, and sell the edelbrock manifold, holly 650, brand new distrib, and msd to pay for tpi?

I’m hoping that running more efficiently = ample power….hoping for decent gas mileage but mainly an engine that'll last me a while(but be fun) :screwy: :haha:

2. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

Put the motor together with your existing parts.........then gather all the parts needed to complete the TPI swap including a stand-alone computer such as the Mega-Squirt unit.
    IMHO, if the carbureted motor is tuned and jetted correctly then the TPI will not offer much of a improvement but it will enable you to quickly re-map the fuel and ignition curve for emission testing. :bow:

3. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

its a 75 no emissions for me :laugh:

i do travel alot though. i like the idea of the tpi for many reasons but one is definatly the cold start and altitude changes stuff. i go to the beach alot but then again i like to go up to tahoe alot.

oh yea thanks for the input.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'd go with the the TPI.

5. Dain Fraser

Dain Fraser Registered Member

There is no substitue for fuel injection when wheeling. Then again, my Holley truck avenger is on its way.... :D

6. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

mega squirts looks very interesting.