Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Enamel paint...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Jul 27, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Its like 4 bucks a can at wal mart. Does it hold up better than regular spray bomb paint? It sure does make a shiny finish. I've seen some rigs painted in it, in the "grabber green color".. From the encouragement of some friends and the GF/ I'm kinda thinking about doing the whole truck Engine Orange.. it'll probably cost me about 100 bucks to buy enough paint to do the whole thing, but if I can scare up that much money before the mud bog Aug 5, I would really like to have the burb one color, because the current grafitti isn't cutting it.

2. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I think you would be fine with normal paint. Remember three things when painting a truck

Prep
    Prep
    Prep

make sure its good and clean, wouldnt hurt to hit it with 800 or so grit sand paper lightly, then give it 2 or 3 coats and call it good. Thats how I paint the old semi trucks and straight trucks at work. Seems to work good. Crudy spray paint is faded in a year.But for the cost of spray paint you can afford to paint it once a year.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

use REAL paint..

Spray can paint jobs are OK for trail trucks,but look rather ghetto-ish in my opinion..I'd rather see a truck painted with a brush or roller than spray paint,especially the ultra cheep 94 cent Wal-Mart paint thats transparent as hell...it'll cost more than liquid paint too!..

I've painted a few of my plow trucks and other vehicles with enamel I got from Tractor Supply with good results,and it was 22 bucks a gallon!--I've used Rustoleum too,with a cheap 25 dollar spray gun from a bargain outlet--some friends used the Wagner power painter electric spray gun and it came out decent too..nothing like a professional paint job is,as I wasn't very fussy about sanding it perfect and bondoing every little sin in the sheetmetal--but they looked 110% better all one color,and its imperative to keep a heavy coat of paint on a vehicle here if you plan on keeping it more than 2 years,or it'll have holes in it!..

You can buff and compound the paint after a few months ,if a smoother "orange peel" free finish is desired...I never bothered,as mine looked good enough to me..

I painted my van "Ford Tractor Blue" in 1997,and its holding up pretty good,considering I never washed it since!..its a bit dull,it never had a high gloss finish,(because I used Naptha as a thinner,as per label directions--Enamel Reducer would have given more gloss)--but it seems to repel rust good..they have some nice green paints for John Deere and Massey-Furgeson tractors..Rustoleum has lots of color choices too..:crazy:

4. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've painted a truck with engine enamel it's tough stuff looks good to way better than flat black and it last quite awhile probaly tkae close to 10 cans to do your burb 3 coats on a bigblock only use one can with enough left over to paint my kids wagon

5. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

that's good news.. I was thinking like 25 cans.. but I have noticed that this engine paint goes a long ways...

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Rustoleum makes a nice epoxy enamel, if you want a hard finish. Shiny though, and only in black, white, and I think almond ... they're made for appliances. I used the white on my rollcage, good sh!t.

I've also rattlecanned both my sixpack and my K5 ... the sixpack I even washed first and sanded, etc. Prep is definitely key. The K5 is my wheeler so I kinda halfheartedly prepped it, and it shows, but it's just my wheeler.

I would also primer the truck for best paint adhesion... adds to the cost, but it's worth it, IMHO. My sixpack took ~24 cans each of primer and paint, but it came out well. I think this year I'm gonna feather the edges of the camo, though, rather than the taped edges I did before. I feather the K5 and I like the way it came out better. (Damn she looked small on 33"s :D ) The pickup is done in Krylon "superflat" camo colours, which give a rough surface and collect dirt like no other... the K5 is done in regular Rustoleum gloss colours.

-- A

paint-final-score-3.JPG

paint-low-series.JPG

tankie-camo-1.JPG

7. Quackaddict

Quackaddict 1/2 ton status

I don't know about a whole vehicle with rattle can other than if it is trail only. I can say I really like the Engine Enamel as that is what I used on my wheels what when I painted them It looks good and it is tough however it can run quite easily and shows imperfections very well too.