Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine experts need help!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TWISTEDJACK, Sep 8, 2002.

1. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Checked the timing on my 350 tonight, 18 degrees!!! WTF /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif Does that seem too high? I set it back to 10
    and the motor now lacks punch??? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif
    Why doesn't it have any power at 8-10 degrees????? I set it back to 18 for the Mud Drags tomorrow. Every motor I have had before would detonate like crazy advanced this far.

2. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

try checking your plug wires are on the cap on the correctly, thay my over one plug. and check that your distributer is in tdc. hope this helps

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

It is not too unusual for a small block to run good with 18 degrees initial advance. You did disconnect the vacuum advance and verify the RPMs when you checked the timing? If it doesn't ping, run it! You may want to check your plugs for signs of detonation just to make sure, especially if you have a loud exhaust.

4. Txstruck

Txstruck Registered Member

Set it at 10 with the vaccuum advance disconnected.....

5. TWISTEDJACK

Okay, checked the distributor for TDC and the plug wires are in order, checked the plugs they are a nice tan color.
    Check the timing with the vaccuum advance disconnected,
    still likes to run better at 18 /forums/images/icons/confused.gif I hooked my trailer loaded with a 8,000 lb load and pulled a 7% grade,
    no pinging, /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Set the timing back to 10 and tired to pull the same hill, first gear barely made it. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif guess I will leave it at 18 and pull the hills at 65 /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

6. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

its probably one of2 things...the balancer has slipped on the hub......or the wrong timing tab on there too....just my .02$ worth..

7. TWISTEDJACK

I thought of that, I pulled the balancer off to check it.
    The key way is in good shape. I know the pointer is correct. It has been check at TDC after I checked the
    balancer. Has me puzzled. The only thing that has changed
    in the last year was I put a Holley Projection on.