Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine+Flywheel Balancing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ccj8008, Apr 21, 2006.

1. ccj8008

ccj8008 1/2 ton status

I recently swapped a Clark 5 spd in for my sm465 (behind a 454 TBI). The new flywheel and 13" clutch assembly are considerably larger. There is now some shudder (vibration) with the new assembly. I noticed that the old flywheel had some material drilled out to balance the rotating assembly. Does this mean I will need to pull the engine and have it and the flywheel balanced together? or...Any suggestions?

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

When I had my 454 balanced the flywheel & Pressure plate were balanced togeather...I ended up with little weights welded to the PPlate to get the setup balanced.
    When you put the new cluch in did your flywheel get replaced or machined/ground?
    Good Luck

3. ccj8008

ccj8008 1/2 ton status

Yeah, the flywheel was re-surfaced and the clutch/pressure plate are new. Is this a big block/internal balance issue that a small block would not have? I am going to send the flywheel/clutch assembly to a machine shop to see if they can be balanced, just to eliminate them as a factor.

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The 454 is an externally balanced engine. If you change things around you have to git everything rebalanced. Talk to a shop that balances engines they will tell you what you need to get done.

5. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

time to do some more drilling

thats what the holes are for, is to balance

but needs to be done altogether on the 454 anyways

entire rotating mass

afaik and imho

around here you are screwed as there are no shops, not close to here anyways

no axle shops no chassis shops nothin

good luck

6. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

not having the flywheel balanced can kill the engine.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Do you still have the old flywheel? If so, you can take it and the new flywheel to the machine shop. They can measure the balance of the old one and match the new one to it. :cool1:

8. ccj8008

ccj8008 1/2 ton status

That's what I like about this board, great idea, thanks.

9. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

Are you sure what engine was in front of the 5 speed? Most of those trannys were in C60 or larger, and had 427 tall deck engines. The 427 is an internally balanced engine; whereas the 454 is an externally balanced engine.
    Mark the flywheel you took off your 454, and when you pull the new one, compare the reverse side of them; the 454 flywheel will have a "bump" cast into it, where the 427 flywheel won't. Have your original 545 flywheel turned, and re-install it and I'll bet your vibration goes away.
    HTH
    Jimbo