Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine gurus, help please!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wraenking, Sep 16, 2004.

1. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

hey guys. some questions regarding my engine swap

350 bored .30 over, 501 cam lift

1. i out a truck avenger on her a couple of days ago, and we still cant get her to purr. where is the best place to check the vacume? i hooked it up to the carb and it was reading 6. holley told me with that motor, it very well could be. if it is, i need to get a number 3 power valve in there. sound right?

2. for some reason , my choke light wont go off and it has an annoying buzzing sound.

3. when setting intial idle, the vaccume advance should be disconnected and it should be set on 10 degrees?

4. any other suggestions would be great!!!

IM SO CLOSE I CAN TASTE IT!!!

p.s. anyone in the jersey area feel like helping, feel free!!!

2. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

1. You should check the vacuum at the lowest point on the base of the carb.... you should set your air/fuel mixture needles with the vacuum guage attached and adjust them one at a time to acheive the most vacuum attainable...

2. ?? Choke light??

3. Before setting idle and setting the air/fuel mixture you need to set the timing, disconnect and plug the vacuum advance line... 10 deg sounds to little for that cam.. I'd try just advancing it until she runs smooth/smoother... My guess around 15-16 deg BTDC..

You'll have to play with both the air/fuel mix and timing together to smooth it out...

Hope this helps...

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

With a great big cam it will probably not run as smooth as you want . I am thinking it will lope a bit . And if you run the stock balancer ( which dampens not balances , only 400 externally balanced ) you will always have that "chevy tick" unless you balanced the rotating assembly /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    1. You should check the vacuum at the lowest point on the base of the carb.... you should set your air/fuel mixture needles with the vacuum guage attached and adjust them one at a time to acheive the most vacuum attainable...

2. ?? Choke light??

3. Before setting idle and setting the air/fuel mixture you need to set the timing, disconnect and plug the vacuum advance line... 10 deg sounds to little for that cam.. I'd try just advancing it until she runs smooth/smoother... My guess around 15-16 deg BTDC..

You'll have to play with both the air/fuel mix and timing together to smooth it out...

Hope this helps...

[/ QUOTE ]YEP! what he said, start over with the a/f mixture screws, turn in all the way , then out 2.5 turns each. timing set it at 10 degrees for now, turn each out about1/2 a turn each till you get it to drop about 50 rpm each time you touch the a/f screws then turn back 1/4 turn, after you get the carb tuned in, then go for the timing, I'll assume your running an auto trans, do you know how to "powertime"it? put it in gear while a friend holds the brake and run it up to about 1800 rpm and advance the distributor till it pings then back it off till it stops pinging, then tighten it down. It wouldn't surprise me to find it runs good at about 16 to 20 degrees advanced. that's a big ole cam for a 350, with that thing dailed in I'll bet she really screams!! good luck /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif