Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Gurus, what to do w/ my stuff to make it more badass

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Troopie's Tonka, Nov 9, 2002.

1. Troopie's Tonka

Troopie's Tonka 1/2 ton status

I wanna make my 350TBI more baddass without breaking stuff tomorrow. It's in an 88 K-5 silverado, already have hedman headers and K&N. I wanna do more to it, and i know sh$t about engines. What are some moderate additions I can make without blowing my engine tomorrow, but that gives me some baddass extra performance. i've heard terms like: heads,cams, camshaft, cold air intake, blah blah blah, so what should i do and what can my engine take? thanks engine gurus.
    here's what i got, np208, 4.56gears, gm12bolt, and hellifIknow what tranny i have, but let's call it stock for an 88 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Good flowing exhaust will do wonders. Vortec heads - if you need to ask what these are, you need to do a search...probably been covered in about 3 different posts in the last week.
    Let me help you with your tranny: I'm going to guess you have a 700-r4. Here are my questions for you: do you have to push in a little pedal to the left of the brake pedal, and then grab onto a metal stick and move it up and down? If so, it's an SM465.
    If no, when you shift into gear - on the gear selector - is there a D with a [] around it. If yes, then it is the 700-r4 like I thought.

3. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

The problem is is that your engine is computer controlled. What you should do is swap in a cam designed for your computer. A free flowing exhaust would benefit you greatly. Headers, aren't relly required with your engine the cost vs benefit isn't enough until you get some more ponies.

The vortec heads are a great performance bargain if you want to tear your engine down that far (cam swap at same time to take advantage of extra flow)
    Just take your time and match everything up. ie there is no use using a long duration, wide lobe angle cam with your computer. The computer would have a fit.

4. Troopie's Tonka

Troopie's Tonka 1/2 ton status

yes, i have 1,2,d,[d] no petal thingy like you said