Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine help!97 Vortec from a Yukon a good replacement engine for my 90 GMC?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lehtola, May 7, 2002.

1. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

I've been looking at a new engine since mine is on it's way out. I've been saying that for a year. I've only put 4000 miles on it since 12/00.

I've looked into the salvage yards and came across an engine from a 97 yukon. can I just yank that out and put it in without any problems? Computer issues? If so...what?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I think I'd be pretty safe to say that something that new, you might as well grab everything but the body frame and axles, because its all integral. You can break everything apart, but unless that motors cheap, I can't imagine buying it then ripping all the parts that make it better than a '90 motor (TPI, better heads I'm sure) and ending up ahead of just buying a replacement '90 motor, or doing the complete '97 swap.

3. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

I would use the vortec long block and use the stock injection. GM makes an intake for TBI w/vortec heads. The LH ex. manifold needs to from the vortec for the egr. I'm saving for a 383 vortec TBI for mine...
    Jim

4. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

I'm right in the middle of this conversion. I'm putting a vortec 5.7 and t4l60e tranny in. It's pretty easy. The motor bolts right in and hooks up to the np208 just fine. You will need all accesories, wiring and computer. I also got the intake and exhaust cut after the cats. This gave me all four O2 sensors and 2 cats. You'll need a fuel pump, the 96-99 2 door tahoe/yukon is a direct replacement for the in tank TBI. A Vss generator for howell efi, Exhuast and intake ducting, fuel lines, tanny cooler lines, oil cooler lines, upper and lower radiator hoses, etc.. Now you get to the wirring, the vortec engine harness is pretty stand along. There are two big firewall connectors that need to be spliced into the blazer wiring, connect the ones you need and cap the one you don't. I think this will be one of the easier tasks. If you have any specific ?? let me know.

Later
    Mike

5. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

so this will work so long as I use my stock TBI and getting the vortec intake and LH exhaust manifold? If so...$800 a good deal without the ecm?

6. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

I'm looking into putting a vortec in my 86. Do you know if the 700r4 and the bellhousing will bolt to this block. Also will I need a new flywheel?. I know the intake is different. Will the accessory brackets from my 86 bolt directly to the new heads. Also is the harmonic balancer diffrent. Thanks for the input.

7. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

if you're taking things off of a 350...no problem...if you had a 305...you've got issues.

8. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

THere is a 305 in it right now. I know the distributors is some waht different, but I think that is just the wiring harness. What are all my issues. I thought that most of the parts were interchangable from a 305 to a 350, but I'm no engine expert. Any info you can give would be great.

9. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Eight bills is not a bad price. I just picked up a 98 vortec 5.7 for a job in the shop. It came complete from intake to pan for $1400.00. Do you want to use the factory vortec intake or the GM performance TBI intake for vortec heads. The power gain comes primarily from the cyl head design and not so much the vortec injection itself. The vortec injectors have a fairly high failure rate. My own plan is to get a vortec core and stroke it. Since it has roller tappets you can run more camshaft than the computer will realize. Just the heads alone are worth 30-40 horses. I don't know what the vortec injection is worth over the TBI. Unfortunatly I don't have first hand knowlege of this, this is what I have read or seen on other rigs. Hope I helped...
    Jim

10. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

Forget about it...was told that the ecm (computer) wouldn't like my transmission.