Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ibrakeformud, Apr 15, 2002.

1. ibrakeformud

ibrakeformud 1/2 ton status

ok i got a 68 camaro and im putting a 454 in it the motor i got came from a guy that had it in a boat. right now its 30 over and only about 5 hours on the motor but since it was in a boat there is lots of sand and dirt in it what should i do? should i bore it some more just get it hot tanked and call it a day or what im all ears i just want to drive it asap but i want it to be done right thnxs david

2. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

Only 5 hrs. on it and already "there is lots of sand and dirt in it". What did he use it for, the boat anchor? I suggest you buy one of the many books on the market that describe how to rebuild BBC's. Read it from cover to cover and learn everything you can about 454's. Pay close attention to the section about disassembly and re-assembly. The price of the book, about $20, will pay itself back many times over. You're probably going to need a complete disassembly, check all your parts, keep everything in order and wash everything good before re-assembly. Also, in your written communication, try and use proper English, you'll find you'll get many more replies if you "speak" the written language well. Most people don't want to work at reading a post./forums/images/icons/smile.gif ImagineifInevertriedtomakeiteasyforyoutoreadwhatIhavejustsaid./forums/images/icons/wink.gif