Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

- engine help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pooo, Mar 28, 2000.

1. pooo

pooo Newbie

hey all..
    I'm replacing the heads and lifters in my '76 with a 350, and i'm wondering if it's okay to keep the old pushrods? they look okay.. will it hurt anything?
    And does anyone know what the trick is to get the valves adjusted just right? I've heard that it works better if you can do it while the engine's running, if so, what's the details?
    thanks- G

2. Blaze81

Blaze81 Registered Member

ok to keep pushrods if they look ok. make sure they are not bent. it's a little easier (better adjustment to do it with the engine running), but you have to do it with the engine off first to get the adjustment close so the engine will run then you can adjust with it running. Just make sure the cylinder you are adjusting is at top dead center compression stroke then tighten rocker bolt until slight resistence is felt while spinning pushrod. The tighten 1/2 to 3/4 more turn. This should get you close if not right on. If you want to adjust while running, start engine, loosen rocker nut until it knocks then tighten approximately 1/2 turn then repeat for each rocker

Tuck

3. OLDSTEEL

OLDSTEEL 1/2 ton status

Just a quick tip to keep oil from going all over the engine while adjusting the valves. Find an old valve cover (taller the better) and cut the center section out of the top, and install it while you make your adjustments. It really saves on clean up.

74 K5

Leave it like you found it, or better!

4. snidgen

snidgen Registered Member

You can test the straightness of the pushrods on a piece of glass(very flat usually) but if your going to reuse the pushrods its best to keep them in the same order as when you took them off due to small differences in reciprocating weight and in my opinion if your going for lifters and rockers go with new rods also but thats just my 2 cents