Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Hoist Leaking Fluid...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 90blzr, Mar 24, 2005.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Can you replace the seals in these and if so...where do you get the seals from?

Got it from Kragen about 5-6 years ago and it has been WELL used. Its been leaking a little hear and there, but the other night it finally gave out and is constantly dripping.

Basically looks like a big bottle jack for the ram. How difficult is it to replace the seals?

2. biglou400ex

biglou400ex Registered Member

any decent hydraulic shop should have the seals on hand needed to fix the ram, bring it over there and have them take a look at it. we have this shop her moradians and they make drivelines and fix rams all the time for us farmers for decent prices.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Totally by mistake I fixed a hydraulic cylinder by filling it with silicone spray. I was desperate, needed to press some u-joints, and the press had leaked enough fluid that it didn't work.

The silicone didn't work instantly, but a couple days later my dad went to use the press (he didn't know my problem with it) and it worked fine. Has worked/not leaked for a couple of years now!

This is the type of silicone spray I'm talking about: Silicone Spray

Not the right way to fix it I'm sure, but if you can't find a way that is cost effective for you, you might try it. Myneighbor bought a cylinder for an engine hoist about a year ago, paid $60, and still had to modify it to fit the hoist.

4. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

5. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Hmmmm I have some of that spray. Its leaking bad though...as in there is a puddle underneath it on the floor. Where did you spray it in too? The little fill hole towards the top?

6. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

you can remove the "ram" and have someone fix it or buy a replacement which they do sell.

You have to remember that engine hoists dont have any safety locks. You dont want to hurt yourself when you have an engine lifted. Or lowering an engine down and have it crush your hand.

7. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

Harbor freight sells just the rams pretty reasonable.

8. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Yeah, they are like $65 or so. Just figured if I could get some seals for a few bucks and it was easy to replace them, I could just do that. Might be easier to just go spend the $65 though:tongue1:

9. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Yeah I called a place and they want like $70 to fix it...I can buy a whole new ram for cheaper than that. Their rat is $69.50/hr....so it might only take them a few minutes...but with a one hour minimum....$$

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Hard to find a good quality one...

Most of those "long jacks" they sell at Harbor Freight and Northern Tool,and the ones I see at swap meets and flea markets are the same china crap that came with the hoist,and dont last very long before they leak..:mad:

I had an engine crane given to me but the ram was missing,a woman wo got divorced had it on her front lawn with a "free" sign on it,--I took it,but I already had a nice one,so I gave it to a needy auto mechanic friend of mine--he just bolted a peice of angle iron on the "backbone" with square "U" bolts,for mounting a short 12 ton jack that he uses to lift heavy trucks in place of the "long" ram-

All he had to do was make a peice of pipe with a hole for the bolt on the hoist that would slip over the piston of the jack(he used it several times with the piston just resting on the bolt with no problems,but I convinced him it was scary)we have pulled dozens of motors with it with no problem--best part is those 12 ton jacks are in all the discount stores for 25 bucks or so-

And they dont leak very often--his is still being used almost daily in his shop,and no leaks after 5+years...I dont know why they use the "long" rams,when a short hydraulic jack goes as high as the long ram does,as far as crane height..:confused:

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The one I "fixed" had a large puddle under it as well, and it is a fairly small pump. I just figured when it still wouldn't work it had leaked all the fluid out, thats why the silicone didn't make a difference, but it just took awhile to swell/soften the seals.

I just sprayed it in the little hole that has the little rubber plug in it. I assume thats for filling. :)

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

similar results

I had a bottle jack leak out some of its fluid while stashed under my seat(discovered this when I had a flat tire,and it wouldn't pump up high enough to get the tire off!:angry1:
    --had to drive it on the flat to the nearest "convienience" store.which of course had no hydraulic jack fliud for sale--in desparation I searched the auto section for ANYTHING I could put in it to get it working--I had my choice of motor oil or brake fluid--I chose brake fluid,and filled it up,it worked ok and I got the spare on--:laugh:

I have since switched to a sissors jack that will never leak!--but since I put the bottle jack in the garage,and used it several times,it hasnt leaked at all!--the brake fluid must have swelled up or softened the seals,just like the silicone spray did for your jack!...:confused:

I have a larger 6 ton bottle jack that leaks like a seive,the brake fluid didnt help that one--so I filled it with 90w gear oil--pumps up good now,hardly leaks--but if its below 32 degrees,it wont go back down!--works good in warm weather though...:crazy: