Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine id

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Panther, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, more questions on my 74. The lady I bought it from knew little to nothing about the truck, but she did know the engine had been replaced with a chevy truck engine. How can I ID the engine and the carb? I know it's a 305 from an early 80s truck, but I hoping to find out what exactly.

Thanks!!!!

2. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

there is a small ledge on the block behind the alternator in front of the right side cylinder head, it should have some codes stamped on it, usually one of them will be a two or three letter code, "CRX" for example, this can be checked in a hollander or chiltons manual and will usually tell what it was originally from.

3. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Is the complete list in all the Chiltons or will I have to flip through each year to find the book with the right number?

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

There is another set of numbers on the back of the engine on the drivers side. If you look down past the valve cover, there is a ledge right where the transmission hooks. Post those numbers here and I will be able to tell you what it is.

5. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Get the casting #'s and go to mortec.com and look them up.

6. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Post the block ID # (from behind the alternator) here, and I (or someone else) will ID it for you.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The suffix code (behind the alt as has been said) is the *only* way to tell exactly what the motor was. Casting numbers on the back are meaningless, (look up 3970010, I've got that one memorized lol) unless that number was used for only one engine, in one application, with one HP rating. (which I doubt rarely, if ever, happened) Suffix code will tell you year, vehicle, and HP. (and my theory is two vs 4 bolt block as well) www.nastyz28.com has probably the best listing around of suffix codes, you just have to hunt a bit.

8. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Alright, I made it over to the truck last nite (boy it's a pain to not have it at the house). I could not find the
    engine code. I looked all over the engine behind the alternator and came up with nothing.

I did find what I believe is the casting number though. I found this number behind the carb on the intake manifold.
    14057055 and 16 GM below that. Should that be the same as the engine casting number or do I
    need to keep looking near the tranny?

Any more tips on finding the engine code? My next step is to pull the alternator to get a better look. I'll also
    take off the big alt brace in the way too. There really is no exposed block directly behind the alt. The valve
    cover comes right up to the edge.

9. Blazer1970

That # you got is the casting # for the intake manifold. I don't list that #, but 14057053 is an aluminum four barrel intake that was used on 305s and 350s from '78 - '85. Was it an aluminum intake? That would indicate a later model (later than '74) engine, or that the intake has been swapped for a later model one.

10. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure it is aluminum (will get a better look next time I'm there). It isn't the factory engine, but I assume the intake is the factory one for the engine. I believe it's from the early 80s so that should be the right info from the casting number.

11. dyeager535

BTW, that suffix code is on a little pad behind the alternator. Almost impossible to clean it off enough to look at it with the alternator in the way.

If the block has been decked, those letters and numbers will be gone.

12. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Woohoo I think I finally found it. I looked through the Z28 site and still couldn't find it though. Here's
    what I found behind the alternator (under about 1/8" of crude).

13Y104589 KO8 18 CKL

Anybody who can help out with decoding those, I appreciate it (not knowing what I'm looking at is
    quite the handicap /forums/images/icons/confused.gif ). Thanks!!

13. dyeager535

Hmm...one of the "not quite complete" suffix codes its either:
    1973 CKL 350 tur hydro, Calif - F A B(FAB being body styles..F=Camaro/Firebird, A being the Monte Carlo's, etc I believe, and B being the "big" cars, like Caprice, etc)

or

1975 CKL 262 - Nova/Chevelle/Monte

I would hope not the last one. No HP rating for either though, but with those years, you can bet it wasn't much. And torque probably was less than a truck motor as well.

14. Blazer1970

Yup, it is the '73 350. The "3" in 13Y104589 indicates that the engine was in a 1973 car. K0818CKL says that the engine was built in the St. Catharines Ontario plant on August 18th. CKL shows it to be a 350 from an F (Camaro), A or B body car. 104589 is the serial number part of the VIN of the car the engine was originally installed in.

15. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Faaaaantastic. You guys come through as always. So I just need to get parts from a 73 Camaro
    whenever I get parts then, right?

I assume the tur hydro means the 350 turbo hydromatic tranny was behind it in the original car?

Now I just gotta work on the spark problem (doing a search as we speak).

16. dyeager535

Pretty much on the parts issue. Most SBC stuff interchanges for quite a few years, but it *does* make it easier when dealing with parts places to know what year the engine is. Of course, if you have HEI, then when dealing with that, you have to remember the year of HEI, and not say '73 ; )

A few major things changed (dipstick/oil pan, one piece rear main seal, front/rear pan gasket thickness, etc) but all the other stuff was pretty much the same until the mid 80's.

17. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Is it possible to get the whole VIN from the serial number part (104589)? That would tell me a lot
    more about the engine. In other words, is the serial number unique to at least the year or body style?

18. Blazer1970

No, I don't think you can get the whole VIN. I think the Y in the serial # part means that the original car was assembled at the Wilmington Delaware assembly plant. If you could find out what cars GM was assembling at Wilmington for the '73 model year, at least you could tell if it was in a F, A, or B body. For most any parts though, just knowing that it is a '73 motor will be enough. You could tell the parts drones that it is a '73 truck and you would get the right stuff 99.9% of the time.

19. Blazer1970

I also agree that if you ever want parts for a carb or a distributor, get the number off the carb or distributor and take it to the parts store. Year and model don't work too well for that stuff even if it is original to the vehicle.

20. FunBlazer

FunBlazer Registered Member

I am going to have to agree about the www.nastyZ28.com site being very helpfull, I have been a member of that site for a long time(my camaro is my true love), then I got my Blazer and found this site and this is the best truck related site I've found. In reguards to the id question it makes it damn near impossibile to find out info on a engine when it gets decked, cause the front id pad gets cut down so you can't read the numbers.