Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Idle and Temp

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Skroo, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Skroo

Skroo 1/2 ton status

When I drive my blazer to work the temp will get pretty close to the red. It'll only do this when I'm driving 50 to 65 (in overdrive). As soon as I start to drive stop and go it'll run cool like it should. It also ran really cool (170 to 180) when I was in the sand.
    Also, yesterday at the river I ran it through the river up to the headlights and when I pulled out I popped the throttle and it started to idle pretty high. We wired the choke open and reset the idle and it ran OK. About three times after I had to set the idle again becouse it would run to fast or too slow. When I got home it was idling about 2000(i'm guessing). I could'nt back off the idle enough. This morning I cut the wire on the choke and it idled around 2000. when it got hot the choke would'nt open and when I opened it manually the truck would die. Could I have gotten water in something?
    It's a stock 1983 with a 305, auto, and 33's.

2. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

Are you saying that if you are in drive going 55-65 all is cool?

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I thought a stock '83 wouldn't have an overdrive...

Anyways, it sounds like you have a vacuum leak in the carb.

4. Skroo

Skroo 1/2 ton status

No, when I drive 50 to 65 it'll run really hot.

5. Skroo

Skroo 1/2 ton status

IN the carb? I checked all my vacuum lines and they all look good. I really don't want to rebuild it 'cause I need it tomorrow. Could it be anything else?

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Are you running a fan shroud? what is your thermostat temp? what kind of gm or aftermarket water pump do you use? as for the carb idle do you have computer carb or no computer like my 1983 . if its a q-jet the throttle shaft bushing are shot and no carb rebuild at home will fix that it would have to be machined for brass bushings . try a edelbrock ( mine ) or jet q-jet carb.

7. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

for the temp thing it might be the trans that making the engire run hot (slipping tcc or bad converter or....)

do u have a aftermarket trans cooler???

8. Skroo

Skroo 1/2 ton status

It does run a shroud and a stock pump. I have a 185 thermostat but i'm putting a 195 in after I fix my carb. It does have a computer. If I put a new carb in(aftermarket) will I need to change my distributer to be non-computer controlled or can I get away with leaving it alone? I can get a 600 holley rebuilt for $150 compared to the $300 or 400 for a stock.
    I does'nt have a A/M cooler. The trans was rebuilt 20000 miles ago. I don't have any problems out of it but I do have some coolers at work so I can rig one up.
    I'll pull the carb today and see if I can get the new one.

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

All I'm gonna say is that more than likely, it ain't your carburetors fault.

10. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Didn't mean IN the carb.. sorry. I meant somewhere the INTAKE is leaking.

I am not at all familiar with the '83...

I am guessing the Tranny is not getting a vacuum (Carb leak = high idle), and the tranny is not locking up in overdrive = overheat.

Just a guess.

Good luck.

11. Skroo

Skroo 1/2 ton status

I didn't get a chance to work on it until today. I sprayed carb cleanner around the intake and I can see air leaking out. It didn't change the RPM though. I'm gonna change the gasket and see what happens.

12. Skroo

Skroo 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help dude. I just started it and it runs great. Now i just got to finish my beer break and finish putting all the accesories back on. I'M GOING MUDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif