Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine in the ORD Blazer

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by '73 K5, Jun 15, 2001.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I was just curious about the big block in the truck. Was it bought as a crate motor from some place or did you just rebuild and stroke an old 454? How much power is it cranking out and approx. how much did it cost?
    Thanks. I'm thinking about a big block swap for my truck, so I'm trying to find out as much as possible BEFORE I buy anything.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The motor actually came out of my Dad's hay/snowplow truck. We have a local builder that owes us a motor, so we'll put the more stock 468 from him back in the farm truck.
    It was basically built to be a workhorse, towing and hauling. So he went overboard. started with a plain old 454 and bored it .060. It's a balanced bottom end, about 9.5:1 compression (go lower, it needs midgrade fuel) with hypereutectic pistons.
    Heads are stock large ovals with larger valves (don't remember size) with fly cut chambers and port and chamber blending work done. Cam is a Comp 270 Marine, induction is edlebrock multipoint, it also controls the ignition through a standard HEI coil and distributor. Headers are JBA's with 1 3/4" tubes from a 96 vortec application. Frame mods required for that one.
    High volume oil pump, deep pan, water pump with the impeller backing plate for a little more flow, clutch fan, and jacobs wires pretty much rounds it out.
    It's a pretty nice motor. a smaller cam would probably be wise for dedicated rock crawler. We knew for all around the little larger one would be good for a little more power and stronger midrange. And we were right, the thing launches like a rocket, even with a 6600# truck wrapped around it!
    My recommendation: same basic configuration, maybe or maybe not the port work on the heads, throttle body EFI with a performer or performer RPM manifold, 260 to 270 degree cam and that's about it. We went a little overboard knowing that Top Truck is a throttle fest in a couple of the events. It's not all necessary in the real world.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [image]http://coloradok5.com/logo_ordsmall.gif[/image]
    SW-ORD

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Let me just add that Stephen's Jimmy sounds like pure evil at idle. [​IMG] You feel it more than hear it. It's like it's seismic or something!!! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

What kind of exhaust is on it? (after the headers)

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

5. Stephen

It's got JBA shorties from a vortec, 2.5" pipes back to a pair of 2.5" 50 series flowmasters. It's pretty growly! Not bad at idle and low loads, but when I climb on it, it lets everyone know what's going on.

SW-ORD

6. LA Bogger

LA Bogger 1/2 ton status

Do you have tail pipes that come out the corners or do they dump right after the muffler?

Dreaming of a BIG BLOCK!!

7. Stephen

At this point they dump at a 45 down and back out of the mufflers. When it's run in final position, they'll come out at about a 90 degree behind the rear tires. I've had good luck with that position for keeping exhaust out of the interior. It should make it a little quieter too.

SW-ORD

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Why would you want it quieter? :)

Tim

9. Stephen

I'm not a fan of really loud exhaust. There's too much communication that has to happen on the trail and it makes it hard to hear. Loud's kind of fun sometimes, but not on an all the time basis. The flowmaster 50's are about as much as I like, they sound good when I'm on it, but reasonably mellow otherwise. Getting them run out the sides should make it about perfect, I hope.
    We should all be careful with loud stuff, my 5 year old has to cover his ears when I get it wrapped up, and it's loud enough to be noticible, but not uncomfortable for me, so there's some hearing loss already. And I'm pretty careful about loud noises.

[image][/image]
    SW-ORD

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I know, I was just kidding. I don't like mine super loud either.

Tim

11. Stephen

An additional note on motor choice, a small block or a diesel would work about as well as the big block for most applications. for most trail work and rock crawling type stuff, motor doesn't have as much to do with success as the rest of the overall combo. Big block is nice because it's there if you want it, and for high altitude it's nice to still get decent output. It's absolutely necessary for a "Top Truck", but for most of the real world, don't be afraid to keep a small block and call it good.
    My dream long range trail truck would have a 6.2L with a turbo. They come fuel injected, have huge torque, great milage and range and last a long time. Weight is similar to a big block, so it's not hard to handle.

[image][/image]
    SW-ORD

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You think even for extreme wheeling in a truck with big tires, a small block woud be enough in the mud? In the magazine, TTC looks like it's got some serious throttle-fests in those mud pits. What do you think?

Tim

13. Stephen

I wouldn't go to TTC without at least a 40" tire, and a big block is nice to spin them. In a lighter truck, you might get away with 400ci or so small block, but in a heavy rig, it's nice to have the cubes. It also depends a little on what you're running agaist, which you don't really know till you show up. If you have a whole field of guys with manual trannies, a guy with an auto and a healthy small block will probably do fine.
    In our case, it's nice insurance knowing that we had the power to do well in acceleration, mud pit and the truck pull. It's nice to have the beans to leave where you are when you push on the gas in an event like that. For trail use, I could get by easily with a nice small block or a diesel.

[image][/image]
    SW-ORD

14. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Talk about loud exhaust? I can barely hear my dad shouting spotting directions over my 6.2L diesel clatter.

David Oliver
    '85 'burban - 6.2L J NA
    5.5"lift, 35"BFGs
    *B&B 6.2L TD and beefed T-700 coming soon*

15. Stephen

The biggest thing I miss is the milage. I'd like to be at least in double digits. But 500 hp is nice to play with too!
    You're right about the diesel noise though. I think in some cases it's worth putting up with.

[image][/image]
    SW-ORD

16. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

You guys can have your Big Block Chevy and your 6.2 I will stick with 500cid of Cadillic power. I will never go back to a 454 after having a 500 engine. Also they will get about 4mpg better than a big block chevy. [​IMG]
    Did I tell you that they are about 75 pounds lighter than a big block chevy!

Donovan
    Bigger is Better

17. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

Hey Donovan,

Would you mind sharing some info with me about the 500 Caddy swap? I've got a 472 just dying to get into my '76 K5.

I'll personal email you about this also.

Thanks!

Richard
    Raleigh, NC
    '90 K-5 Blazer - stock, daily driver
    '76 K-5 Blazer - 14-bolt FF, 4.10's, locked front and rear, 36's, SM465/NP205

18. Stephen

I don't think I'd have any problems with 500 cubes and less weight, especially since edlebrock is building aluminum heads for them now. That would be fun. I've been daydreaming about the way my K5 would act if it weighed under 4K#, or even less. I think that would be FUN !!!!! I'd like to be able to carry the front tires.
    I question the milage claim, it's hard to radically alter the efficiency of a v8 pushrod engine if you use the same parameters on both motors, and they'll never go between gas stations like a diesel. But if you want a big block, milage is usually not as much a concern.
    In our case, we didn't have to mess with motor mounts at all, and all the accessories went on with minimum hassle which on the tight timeframe was essential.

[image][/image]
    SW-ORD

19. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

That is the problem if the big Block Chevy the heads are way to big for what we want to do. Why the Caddy gets better mileage is because the port velocity in the heads. The velocity in a Caddy head is much greater than that of a Big Block. That is why you get better mileage with it. I was get around 13 mpg with mine and it had 90000 miles on it and a the stock manifold and cam. Do you remember those wierd heads that Jim Feuling made for the Big Block Chevy a couple of years ago. He is using the principal of more velocity in the heads with smaller valves and he increased the HP by 100hp. The mileage went up also. Here is his website <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.feuling.com>http://www.feuling.com</A>. The drag racers are finding out that better port volumes are not always better. Look at the ads in the National Dragster and the are all saying that there heads have smaller port CC with more CFM's. Caddy engineers know this 30 years ago and know the rest of use are just finding out about this. What is this about Edlebrock is building them? Last I heard that they did know if they would or not. Can you really confirm this for me please? Over at the MTS forum they have been bugging them about this but nobody has said anything about making them.

Donovan
    Bigger is Better

20. Stephen

I don't know if I'd want anything smaller than the truck peanut ports, but that's really not a concern anymore. for low end, smaller is better for sure. I think what they're finding is with the right shape, you can reduce cross section a little and raise the velocity for low end torque, but not loose as much airflow at high rpm's because they're smoother and have fewer kinks. Sounds a little like a tuned port!
    Check the edlebrock site about the heads, and maybe a summit racing catalog, I'm pretty sure I saw them.

[image][/image]
    SW-ORD