Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine info

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazingItaly, Nov 20, 2001.

1. BlazingItaly

BlazingItaly Registered Member

I'm about to buy a used engine 350 to go on my '79 blazer, the guy said that as been rebuild before he purchased, but never fired, what I should look for?
    There is a chance to visual detect if there is a problem?
    It has been painted after assembly.
    Also the Casting # don't tell me much.

Any advise will be appriciated

Luca

P.S.:Forgive my english

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd pull the manifolds or headers off and check for carbon. If it hasn't been run, they will be clean, and if the manifolds or headers are still on it, more than likely was too lazy to take them off to clean them if it had been run. Also, I'd check for oil in it, if it's clean, or even there. I don't trust ANYTHING anyone tells me when I'm buying used parts, unless it comes from a friend.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

3. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

Be careful, it could be a CIL rebuild. Meaning he just painted it and presto, it's rebuilt. He said it was never ran. Pull the plugs, has it been ran? Check the oil, is it new? Check the exhaust ports, are they dirty? Ask to see the rebuild bills, even if he did it himself he should have parts bills. Pull the valve covers, if he has nothing to hide he shouldn't mind. Just offer to pay for a new gasket and to put it back on if you don't take the motor.
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>