Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine install write-up?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by socal chevy, Aug 30, 2005.

1. socal chevy

socal chevy 1/2 ton status

Im in the process of finishing my swap from a 305 too a 350 on my 84 k10. Is there a write-up or book (I have the chiltons book) that could help me out? I have never done a engine swap, let alone anything to an engine besides remove the carb, and replace the gas pump. I am stuck and am overwhelmed with all the vacuum lines, brackets and parts that still ahve to be hooked up.......Can Someone guide me in the right direction? Thanks. :D

2. socal chevy

3. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

The chiltons book that you have should tell you how to remove the engine. All it is is a lot of unbolting of parts and lifting it out

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just be methodicle about it. If you have or can borrow a digital camera take lots of pics as you take it apart. Make notes and tag stuff. Be clean and tidy and don't rush.
    Before you touch anything open up the hood and look at the job. Go through it in your mind, make a list if you want of what you're going to do first ie: remove hood. Disconnect batteries. Remove aircleaner, ancillaries. Drain coolant & remove rad.
    If you get stuck you know you can always get help here!
    It's no big deal but you do need to take your time and plan it. Get lots of little bags and or boxes to put different groups of fasteners in if your not happy with having them all in one box ie: put all header bolts in one bag. Manifold bolts in another etc.
    Good luck.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'm in the middle of swapping out a tired 350 for a low miles 350 in my '90 Suburban. As I unbolt stuff from the old engine, I insert the bolt in the correct hole on the new engine, which is sitting on a stand. This way there will be no question as to which bolt goes where.

There is a LOT of stuff to disconnect, unplug, etc. to get the engine ready to come out. Be SURE that you remove the distributor before you start lifting the engine out. Otherwise it may get damaged as the engine tilts up.

6. socal chevy

I should have mentioned that I already got the 305 out. But I had help from a guy who sort of knew what he was doing, so he kinda jsut told me what to do and I did it. I have the 350 in the truck and a few things hooked up, but im confused as too what to hook up first, how to hook it up, and where to hook it up....

7. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

Im actually in the process of writing up a guide on pulling,rebuilding, and dropping in a 350 but that won't be done in awhile. As stated before take your time and do it right. For hooking up things im not really sure what you need to hook up emissions ect... But if I was you and when I started out building engines and swapping them I picked up a haynes manual they show you just about everything on your cars or trucks so im sure they will so you how to hook up whatever your needs are.

8. socal chevy

any other pointers?

9. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I got a book at Barnes and Noble called "How To Rebuild Your Small Block Chevy". Great book - step by step with pic. Basically walks you through the whole process. An awesome resource to have around.

10. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

Cam,

call me later. tell me what you got finished. Did you ever have your friend that had a shop stop by?

later

11. socal chevy

I have nothing done except the tranny bolts are on... I dont know what im doing.