Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Installation More Info and some ????s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87BrnRsd, Jun 2, 2003.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

***LOOK AT THE BOTTOM***

I have an 87 K5 with 208 and th700. It has a bad bearing, and I am getting ready to take the engine out. It is completely stock with the fuel injection. I am planning on buying a Chilton's, labeling almost every part that comes off and grouping them into ziploc bags, and taking pictures of the engine. If yall have any ideas, tips, or tricks that will help me get the engine out/back in easier, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!
    -Harrison

2. TB2Blazer

TB2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Re: ENGINE REMOVAL ANY INPUT WILL BE APPRECIATED

I just took my engine out today. I marked the hoses with different colored nail polish so I knew what went where. Like where a hose connects to a fitting I painted a line starting on the hose and painting along it till I crossed over to the fitting. That way I could easily remember where everything went. Don't forget to first drain all fluids power steering, anti-freeze and oil. Good luck its pretty easy.

3. Miller

Miller Registered Member

its not that big off deal.

when i swapped motors on my 89 I pulled the intake of while in the truck the so my buddy could start prepping it to go on my motor that was sitn on engine stand.

all did was get box and put all the nuts and bolts in it. but only kinda keeping them seperated inside the box. I did end up lseing a few washer but that wasnt big deal.

all said n done it took me week to put my motor together tnad the swap took me a day. drove my truck out the shot the same day I wne tin to yank the old motor.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd have to say that the worst parts of the wiring are re-routing it when you put the new engine in (so it looks good and is away from heat sources as much as possible) and knowing where the grounds hook up, since most go under bolts when the engine is assembled, although some are to the body or frame.

Take a look at the underhood wiring. Almost every single connector will ONLY fit one component or sensor. Pretty hard to cram the TPS plug into another hole /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I say make sure you know where the grounds are supposed to be connected, and how the wiring was routed. You screw up wire routing just a little bit, and the wires will be melted. GM did a really good job routing wires close to heat sources, but not so close to cause problems.

Also, I like using paint thinner on the wires, and if the wire loom is in bad shape/greasy, replace it. It's pretty cheap, and makes re-wiring the engine bay quite a bit cleaner. Gotta save from getting the new engine dirty until you first fill it with oil lol.

5. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Im starting tomorrow. Wish me luck ya'll!
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif-Harrison

6. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Clymer manual is better than the chilton if you have not already bought it.

John

7. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

Like it was said before, it’s not that hard of a job and it sounds like you have everything covered to make it easy on yourself. The only thing I can think to add if you already don’t have one, is about a 30” extension to help out on the top bell housing bolts. It’ll save you a headache.

8. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school

Too bad that year truck dosen't have a bolt in/out tranny tunnel. My 82 has one and its a god-send when pulling the driveline out.

9. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Me and my dad started today and got a few things accomplished. We only had about 4 hours to work until I had to go to work so we didnt have all day. Today we took the front clip out so we could get to the engine better and make it easier to lift the engine out so we didnt have to drag it over the grille. This took us a while since we forgot a manual, and everytime we though we had all the bolts out, we would find another one holding it in. After a few hours though, we found all the bolts, and were able to wiggle it out. Well, the wiggle was more like slam it back and forth until it came out. It might be a little harder to get it back in.
    We will only have about 5 hours to work on it tomorrow, until I have to go to work. We think though, that we can get the engine out tomorrow. Our plan is to unbolt the transmission and everything that attaches the engine to the truck, and then lift the engine out with everything still bolted on to it, so it will be easy to unbolt all the wires and stuff with the engine on a stand.
    Well that about sums up today. I will update tomorrow night with what happens tomorrow. Hopefully, I will be able to scan my pictures and post them up here, but I dont know yet. Thanks for reading and helping! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Harrison

10. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

Are you planning on removing the hood? I'll be pulling the engine out of my 88' K5 in about 2 weeks and didn't know if it was necessary or not. I guess with the front clip out you could manage it. Anyway, good luck.

11. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

We were originally planning on removing the hood, but I dont know if it will be necessary with the front clip out now. I will update again tomorrow like I said, and if we get the engine out by tomorrow, I will tell you whether or not we removed the hood. If we dont get it out tomorrow, then I will let you know friday. We thought that just taking the front clip out would be the easiest way to get the engine out, and would make it easier to disconnect stuff from the engine when it is still in the truck. After seeing how much room we made, and now being able to stand in front of the truck and be able to reach all the way to the back of the engine, without standing on a step stool to get over the grille, I am happy about deciding to take it out. It was a little difficult to get out, but not really that bad. I would recommend it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif But anyways, let me know if you have any questions when you take your engine out, and I will try to help, seeing as it will be fresh in my mind. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Harrison

12. midnight473

midnight473 Registered Member

Just did an R&R on my 88 K5 this last weekend. Found it easiest to pull the hood so the crane could get to the top of the engine and not ding up the oil pan on the front cross member. Left the clip on. Made it nice to sit on the fenders hooking up all the mumbo jumbo. I would have pulled the clip, but my cousin the mechanic talked me out of it. Everything went pretty smooth though. Good luck and have fun!

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

You should pull the radiator out too. No sense in taking chances damaging it

14. Larry_in_Tx

If you have an engine stand to put the motor on you can leave the hood on w/ the front clip out. If you’re like me and use a redneck stand (33” tire) the chain might be to short for the engine to reach the ground after you take the slack out of it to clear the hood.

15. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

With the front clip out, there is really no way to leave the radiator in. The radiator and transmission cooler are both out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Harrison

16. Big Muddy K20

Big Muddy K20 Registered Member

Re: *UPDATED* ENGINE REMOVAL *UPDATED*

When I started building my green truck, I just went and pulled the front clip off, it's a little heavy, definitely a 2 or 3 person job, but it makes the job a no brainer. it's also easy if you have a tall truck, alot easier than if you have to lift it over the fenders or radiator support.
    It might seem like a big job, but imho it's alot less work than if it's left on.

17. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know how many bell housing bolts are on a TH700? We can only see four. I hope there arent any more than those because we cant see anymore, and if we cant see them, we cant get to them. The 4 we can see are on the right and left side of the bell housing. We took off both on one side, and one on the other, and didnt have enough time to take the upper one off. But anyways, how many are there? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    -Harrison

18. Larry_in_Tx

I think there’s six. Did you catch the ones at the top? You can find ‘em from the top looking down. The driver’s side top should have a wire clamp on it and the pass. side top should hold the dip stick.

19. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

6. Two at the top, 4 on the sides. I have pretty small hands, with the right wrench I can get to them from up top. This is why the 30" extension was mentioned though, to get them from underneath.

20. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Today, we spent about 2 hours unhooking wires and stuff. We labeled everything and sure hope we can get everything back together. It was pretty easy. The rest of the time was spent under the truck unbolting the exhaust, flywheel cover, unbolting the flywheel from the torque converter, and unbolting the bell housing. We got most of the bell housing bolts undone, but left the top 2 in. My dad and brother went out there when I was at work tonight an undid the top ones. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif We also unbolted one motor mount but didnt have time for the other one. Tomorrow, we will unbolt the other motor mount and lift up the engine and see what is still connected, if anything. Shouldnt take us long tomorrow.
    ----Oh, and to Midnight473, and BayouBlazer88: We found out that it wasnt completley necessary to remove the front clip and that you have to remove the hood. The hood took about 5 minutes to get off, and the clip about 2 hours. BayouBlazer88-I would recommend taking the front clip out if I was you. It really isnt that hard, and it made everything we did in the engine a ton easier. I could just sit on the bumper and work on the engine instead of standing on an uncomfortable stool and leaning over.
    ----More to come tomorrow ya'll.
    -Harrison