Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine issues

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigGray89Blazer, Sep 27, 2000.

1. BigGray89Blazer

BigGray89Blazer Registered Member

Well Here is the issue, I have purchased a fullsize Gray 89
    Silverado Blazer. The issue is the engine is sputtering. Each time it sputters the check engine light goes on (with a stall code which comes up when computer is pluged in) Non of the sensors are displaying errors just a stall code. So far I have replaced the oxygen censor, Replaced Cap Rotor Wires, Replaced Valve cover seals, Replaces Spark Plugs, (Fule injector computer was fried one fule injector was only firing but that issue was fixed with new computer and wires so both injectors are firing.) I also replaced the fule filter and did an oil change.

So now with all of that done I will be driving and the engine will sputter. Let me qualify this I bought the truck in may 2000, it has been sitting for awhile. I can only conclude that there is water in the gas tank. Reason being is that the truck will drive fine and then spudder and stall start back up spudder might stall again, then all of a sudden it will run fine for a while. I filled it with 93 octain. I think I am just gonna add Dry Gas and just let the motor run through then fill it up again and add more dry gas and let it run. Any suggestion, (I have a GM Code scanner and the only code it returns is a general stall code on the engine) Could this be a case of water getting into the engine from the tank...

2. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>If you think that there is water in the tank, go get one of those fuel injector treatments that you pour in the gas tank, there are some that are supposed to extract the water. Try one of those "full system treatments". - Steve</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

It would probably be a good idea to change out your fuel filter(s), too.

4. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

5. hpfire7227

hpfire7227 Registered Member

Isn't it WIERD that pretty much the same problem has been posted by several of us all within the past few weeks?
    Hmmmmmm......

10 BOLTS O' FUN

6. Chewy

Chewy 1/2 ton status

Where can I get one of those diagnostic computers and how much do they cost?

'87 Beast

7. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

It's called a paper clip and can be used to access the computer fault codes. Just gotta connect the two upper left posts of the computer plug (under the dash under the steering wheel) and count the # of flashes from the check engine light. Oh yeah, the keys has to be in the "ON" position. Any good Checy manual will describe how to do this.

ken

8. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

I got one from the Eastwood Company (they should have a web page). $29 came with an instruction manual. Saved me hundreds of dollars finding and fixing things myself rather than taking it to a shop.