Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Knock?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by danny7139, Jul 18, 2005.

1. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

Jan 27, 2005
    Hi kinda a engine noob here, don't know much about bigger engines. But I have a 88 K5 Blazer with a 350 engine in it. The engine has 170k on it and has always ran fine I've done tune ups and taken care of it but I just got back from a trip and wanted to start it since it has been sitting. Well I did and got a slight tapping noise so I looked it over and thought maybe it was the oil pressure and just needed to be driven around to build up the oil. I did and it got worse the noise is now a knocking and has got me worried. I recorded the noise and made it a wav file so you guys can listen. Sound Download its on mega upload so you have to wait for the timer to count like 50 seconds before it downloads. What can this be? I unplugged a spark plug at a time to see if it would stop and it didn't so its not a piston problem right? I really don't know please help.
  2. Bigg R

Bigg R Registered Member

Feb 21, 2005
    You've got some valvetrain noise, could be a collapsed lifter from sitting too long. Sometimes oil gets gummed up from sitting, I'd change the oil and drive it some! If the noise wasn't there when you parked it and seems to get worse the more you drive it, then determine which side it is coming from by using a long screwdriver as a stethescope( put it next to your ear as you hold it against the valve cover) and pull off that cover! You might have a bad rocker arm or a bad valve spring! Just my $.02!

Bigg R