Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine/Lift question on a 91 Suburban

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DUKSRULE, May 3, 2003.

1. DUKSRULE

DUKSRULE 1/2 ton status

I am wondering how much of a build I can put on a 350 and not have trouble with the factory TBI setup. I was going to try to switch to a 454 but think that my be overkill. I am planning to go to 4:10 or 4:56 gears with 35s. It is a 2500 with the 4l80 so overdrive will offset the low gears.

Also I am planning for 35X13.50 tires. Will 4" of lift clear them without trimming or should I go for 6"

Thanks

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You can't do much to the engine before the computer chip needs to be modified. It's designed to spray enough fuel to feed a 200HP stock 350. A modified engine will run without reprogramming, but it will run WAY better if the programming is actually designed to work with the mods. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4.56's and 35's are equivalent to 3.73's and 29 inch tires, so it will be a nice swap. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

6" will not fully clear the front fenders. The back edges of my front fenders have tagged the tires at some point. They are really close at full turn. All I have is 9.75 wide wheels.

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The stock 1 11/16 bore TBI will make up to around 300 hp if built right.That is about max you can expect to get out of the stock the TBI and heads.
    A Crane computer grind can, Weiland or Edelbrock TBI manifold, Some mods fromturbocity.com.
    Get a chip for your computer from turbocity( call or E-mail them for chip&TBI mod recomendations)
    or
    These guys also make good chips :fastchip.com
    Their stage 2 chip will probabally work good with the mods above. E-mail them to see what they recomend. I have a stage 1 chip in mine and it works great.
    Add a set of headers like the Edelbrock TES or a set of Doug Thorleys and good exhaust either dual or 3" single and you are good to go.
    The stock chip will be Ok with cams with durations up to 212 degrees @.050 and lifts up to .460- .480. It will usually run Ok at compression ratios up to 9 to 1.
    The best thing to do is call Crane or Comp Cams. Both make good computer grind cams, and talk to them about how you want your engine to run and what cam they recomend. Then build your engine around the cam shaft.
    The cam is the heart of the engine. If you build the engine to match the cam you canrt go wrong

If you want to get over the 300 HP mark you will need a larger(454) TB, have some head work done or get a set of centerbolt World S/R Torquer heads. Run more cam, raise the compression ratio and get a custom chip burned.

Hope this helps.