Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine light

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KASS, Jul 10, 2001.

1. KASS

KASS Registered Member

My service engine light has come on twice and I have read something on this website about wiring in the fuse box with a light to get the code. The two times it has come on was after towing a 5k trailer to the coast and unhooking. The same day or later in the camping trip the light has come on. I was wondering if it might have something to do with the lower elevation? One thing that comes to mind is the 02 sensor, but wouldn't that be during higher elevation travel? I have a stock 88' 350 w/ 106K and a freshly rebuilt tranny. After finding the code is there a website that lists the service engine codes on it?
    thanks
    KASS

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I've got a Haynes manual that lists the codes - You need to jumper between the two terminals on the upper right hand side of the connector. When you first turn the ignition on, it will flash a code "12" twice, followed by any trouble codes. If you would like, you can check it, then send me a private message, and I'll look up the code and tell you what it is.

<font color=red>Cripplefight!!</font color=red>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>http://pugsley.alloffroad.com</A> Updated finally[​IMG]

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Take that highly advanced tool the paper clip, bend it out and plug both ends into the top two right hand holes of the ALDL connnector, which will be underneath and to the left of the steering wheel. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the light will spit out the code. It will do it in a series of flashes. If it's a Code 13, you will get one short flash, a pause then three short flashes. This will repeat three times. So on with a different code, short flashes for first number, pause and short flashes for the second. I'm sure there's somewhere on the web that has the codes listed, but it's also in the Haynes manual. If not, post the code on here and you'll get a answer back so fast y'all's shorts will go flying off. That's how great this site is.

"I am Republican. Not a baby-killing, tree hugging, land grabbing, touchy feely, hypocrite wuss democrat!"

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Thanks for getting the CODE 12 in there, couldn't remember if it did or not.

"I am Republican. Not a baby-killing, tree hugging, land grabbing, touchy feely, hypocrite wuss democrat!"

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I used to get a code 13 (1 flash, pause, 3 flashes), and a code 43 (4 flashes, pause, 3 flashes) under load when driving at higher elevations. Did the light come on while driving uphill?

According to Haynes, 13 is O2 circuit, and 43 is ESC module, and replacing a whole pile of sensors should fix it. Needless to say, I haven't had a big enough wallet yet to change all the sensors... I did change my O2 sensor, though, and code 43 seemed to stop for awhile, but oddly I'd still get 13 (O2 circuit).
    Then it all seems to have gone away since I timed it to emissions specs... I can't remember 100% if I got the codes last time I went out of state, which would have been after re-timing it, but I'm pretty sure I did not.
    I think cheap gas may do it too, may ping worse and easier than name brand. Did you stop at any real small fuel stations? Every time I threw those codes, I was using "Gasarama" fuel, which was like 25 cents below everyone else's...

Ratch
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5.8m.com>http://k5.8m.com</A>
    **K5 - What more is there to life?**

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

The thing to remember about the codes is they tell you what circuit the problem is in, but the problem is not always the sensor it's self.

7. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

the jeep codes are funnier: if you turn the ignitian switch from off to run something liek 13 times in a row, the engine light will sputter off several codes. my cousin used to do this with his jeep, and it was always a laugh when he;d get the `airconditioner is broken' error: he had no AC.

I'm glad I have no pooter, or O2 sensors and nonsense of that nature on my trucks... heck, no CATS either, :-)

-RIch

El Presedente, ISOHYGIMP

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Chrysler is like that. I like that setup with the ignition. GM is a close second with the paper clip and well then there is Ford.

9. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Later Fords with E4OD trannies will flash trouble codes through the "overdrive off" light on the gearshift at random intervals - No scanner, no problem - the gearshift will eventually start flashing them.

<font color=red>Cripplefight!!</font color=red>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>http://pugsley.alloffroad.com</A> Updated finally[​IMG]