Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine losing power going up hills

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BAMA74K5, Sep 16, 2001.

1. BAMA74K5

BAMA74K5 Registered Member

My engine wants to die out when I go up a hill. It does not completely die unless I take my foot off the gas. When I get it back on flat ground it runs and idles fine. I have a 350 with a Q-jet that I just rebuilt. Any help would be greatly apprectiated.

Rush

2. Big blue ox

Big blue ox Registered Member

Did you check the float adj. after the rebuild?

3. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

I agree with Big Blue. Sounds like a misadjusted float causing a fuel shortage in the bowl when the pitch angle of the vehicle changes. Had a similar problem with my Sub a few years back.

- Alan

'82 K10 Suburban Silverado

4. BAMA74K5

Yes I did adjust the float to 5/16 from the top of the bowl. I had adjusted it more at one time but it made gas come out the top of the carb. Is 5/16 not enough or could there be another problem. Thanks for the help.

5. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

this may sound insultingly silly, but is the carb bolted down tight? ihad one rebuilt then put it on and a week later the damn thing unscrewed itself from the manifold, and air was leaking on the otherside of the carb. i felt dum, realllly dum, dummer than the way dum looks, dumb dumb dumb

Tork DSR
    I just got a winch, it takes the fun out of things.

6. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

BAHAAAAAHHAHAHAHA..i agree, one time my TBI gasket disenegrated and my truck would not idle, it would run fine on the hi-way and at any speed, but idle was just rough and nasty. i replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc.,etc,........then while cleaning my TBI up w/some carb cleaner, i noticed the engine would rev up when the carb cleaner was sprayed in that area. $3.17 and 10 minutes later it was good as new.

i guess my point is...same principle different problem..

350 TBI, 700R-4, NP241, D44-14FF, 4:10's, 38.5 TSL/SX's, full conv., full cage
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com>www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com</a>

7. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

Ah Ha! A fellow Alabama K5 owner. Thought I was all alone on this site here for a while. hehehe.

Neil H. Alabama.. "It's a full size thang, Jeep owners don't understand!!" '78 K5 400ci 4x4 AT,AC,PW Cheyenne., '74 C10 4x2

8. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

I had a similar prob with a 84 K1500 swb 350 AT. was the fuel pump going bad. just and idea to check. it stalled/choked under load. good luck.

Neil H. Alabama.. "It's a full size thang, Jeep owners don't understand!!" '78 K5 400ci 4x4 AT,AC,PW Cheyenne., '74 C10 4x2

9. BAMA74K5

Thanks guys for all your help. I have got an interview today so I might not have time to work on it. I will try everything ya'll have suggested. Thanks again.

Rush

10. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

well let us know what's up..........

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Fuel filter. It's restricting the flow of fuel to the float bowl and running dry under load. You may also need a fuel pump.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

12. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Here's another thought, too. Possible that a plug wire is arcing to ground, an adjacent plug wire, or loose on the distributor tower/plug itself. Could be a bad wire. That would more than likely be evident under all driving conditions, but at least you could rule it out fairly easily. Fuel filter or pump seems more probable.

- Alan

'82 K10 Suburban Silverado (AKA U.S.S. Nimitz)