Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Missing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79Cheyenne, Mar 17, 2000.

1. 79Cheyenne

79Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

Recently I have had a problem with the engine missing. The idle also fluctuates, not rapidly but throughout the day, sometimes it lopes( this is when I really notice the missfires) and sometimes it revs. I have adjusted the timing which didn't improve the situation, the plugs, wires, and cap are new. So what next?

350 w/ quadrajet
    stock exhaust, converted to dual output

<font color=orange>1979 BLAZER Cheyenne[​IMG]

2. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

I would guess that your engine has a vacuum leak, get a can of W/D 40 and spray it around the base of your carb and around the base of the intake, listen for an increase in R's while spraying. another thing to check would be your vacuum lines you'd be suprised what a pinhole could cause. If there are no vacuum leaks.... it could be warn bushings in your distributor
    '77 K5

<font color=red>mudfanatic</font color=red>[​IMG]

3. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

You could also have a plug wire making intermittent contact. Easy way to check..pull plug wires loose from plug while running and listen for one that makes no change in idle.Wear heavy gloves ZAP-OUCH!

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Well, have you found it? Did you contact the police? Where was it last seen? LOL [​IMG]

Just kidding, mine misses when it's a hot day after a long trip. Seems like the distributor's days are over. I'll be changing it for a new Summit Racing $149 one, just like the one deevee8 used to resucitate his Blazer. I don't like the idea of changing just the coil or the ignition module just to see if the problem dissappears and leaving old bushings and rusted terminals which may still be a problem.

<font color=purple>////////
    Drive it like gas is </font color=purple><font color=red>$2.00/gal!!!</font color=red>
    [​IMG]

5. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

I'd do the check for vacuum leaks (use like a butane refill can so you don't gum up stuff w/ WD40-Grim pointed that one out to me). Also, is the dist. cap on tight??? They can be a little deceiving when putting back on. I'd double check that too.

<font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>