Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Mods- End of summer plan- what do you think?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, May 21, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

Comp Cams Magnum Cams & Kits - Cam Kit
    Grind: 280H
    Gross Lift: .480''
    RPM Range: 2000-6000
    Item # 249-CL12-212-2 1 x $169.99

Item Total: $169.99

Harland Sharp Aluminum Roller Rockers - 1.5 Ratio, 7/16'' Stud (16/pkg.)
    Item # 851-1004 1 x $199.99

Item Total: $199.99

Claimer Hypereutectic Piston - Flat Top Piston, Std Bore
    Item # 648-H3418+STD 1 x $21.99

Item Total: $21.99

Edelbrock Torker-II Manifolds and Kits for Chevy - Manifold only
    Item # 350-5001 1 x $98.99

Item Total: $98.99

Pertronix Flame Thrower HEI Distributors - SB/BB Chevy, As-Cast Finish
    Item # 751-D1000 1 x $219.99

Item Total: $219.99

Moroso Blue Max Spiral Core Race Plug Wire - Under Headers, 90° Boots, Non-HEI
    Item # 710-72405 1 x $110.99

Item Total: $110.99

Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS Carbs - 800 cfm, Manual Choke
    Item # 350-1812 1 x $369.99

Item Total: $369.99

Order Total: $1191.93

That's what I'm thinking. . .and forged rods too. What kind of HP should I expect? What have I forgotten, what should I change, what should I add or lose?

I'm looking for good top end, as i need it more because i do mostly mudding. I was thinking that would put me up around 420 or so from a stock 350. should i go 1.6 ratio rockers? no more time to explain, but id like ya'll's input, thanks
    red

2. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

like it but if your using this for off road I would change the cam to a comp cam Xtreme puts out much better down low torque and the same top-end hp and definitly run a different intake, even if you feel the urge to run a single plan manifold (again bad for down low torque) get a victor jr, and if you want off-idle torque get the performer but say away from the torker II. I would go with the 1.6 rockers but make sure yor valve springs can take it. and depending on your heads if they flow good Id guess you will make about 400hp and 370ft-lbs. If you have stock heads Id do a little pocket porting to them or get the vortecs an awsome head for the price.

3. slimlynn1

slimlynn1 1/2 ton status

You might try running 8 pistons instead ov only 1 piston. That brings the total to about $1345.86. You might look at some heads, I dint think the stock heads will support that much HP. Or you can port what you have and do a good 3 angle valve job. Just my .02. Good luck

4. BowtieRed

what's so bad about the torker II? and those pistons are 10.7 ratio, how much of a gain would that have? i was looking at some world products heads, are they any good? or should i get some good vortec or edelbrock heads. here's a question for anybody who would like to take alittle time to play around with somebody elses money. if you had a STOCK GM goodwrench 350, what would you do to it with $1500 to increase HP as much as possible without nitrous. by that i mean either list everything or go to jegs or summit or whereever and make a list. maybe i should get a systemax kit, and for 330 it'll take me to 350hp. . . but that cam is a little smaller than what i wanted. thanks,
    red

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I've got to agree with Bhintz. Don't use the Torker II. There are much better intakes out there. I would recommend the Performer RPM, it has the same upper rpm range as the Torker but will help make alot more low end power.

I am using a set of World Products S/R Torquers with 2.02/1.60 valves and 67cc chambers. They are great heads for the money.

A compression ratio of 10.7:1 is a little high unless you want to run racing gas. Shoot for a ratio around 9.5:1. and run premium. You won't be able to determine your comp. ratio without knowing a few factors, like combustion chamber cc's, piston dish or dome cc's, head gasket thickness, gasket bore and deck height.

I would also recommend a different cam. I ran the 270H in the 350 in my Burb and it lacked good low end power. It wouldn't come alive until 2500 rpm. I am using a Comp. 4X4 Xtreme which was recommended by Comp's tech department. I would suggest giving them a call.

There are lots of engine building recommendations here on this site as well as all over the internet. Another recommendation is to talk to local guys who run similiar terrain as you and ask them what works and what doesn't. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Beast and Bhintz are on the right track....

You forgot a set of gaskets to button the whole thing up. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If I had $1500 to spend on a motor, the first thing I would do is buy the best dang head I could that fit my intentions, to include a bowl job. If you are wanting that much compression, then I would seriously look into aluminum.

If I had any money left over, then I would also install a cam while I had the heads off. The tech depts. the cam grinders have are staffed by people more knowledgeable than anyone here, and they know the flow no.'s of any head you may want to buy, and can give you the best reccomendation.
    just be honest with the information you give them.

Everything else can be added in time, like a better intake, headers, ignition, exhaust, fuel, etc....without opening it back up.

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

7. BowtieRed

thing about heads is if i get those i about kill all the money and for only about 40-50hp. i know they are better in the long run and have beetter potential, but i can replace them later and keep the stock heads and maybe not get new pistons until i get new heads
    i'm basically looking at top end power, if it doesn't go till 2500 that is fine, i'm rarely under that in the mud

thanks for he input i'll revise the list until i get agerneral approval
    thanks, red

8. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    if you had a STOCK GM goodwrench 350, what would you do to it with $1500 to increase HP as much as possible without nitrous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check out this link!!
    http://www.73-87.com/chp/gm350.htm

9. BowtieRed

Thanks! I read that once before, but completely forgot about it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Here's what I'm thinking now:

1. Upgraded Vortec Head Kit, Roller, Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap
    $979.95

2. 1957-86 SB Chevy Performer RPM Hydraulic Roller Cam
    $199.99

3. 800cfm Manual Choke Thunder Series AVS Carburetor
    $359.95

Grand Total: $1,564.64

I think that will be good for around 400 with the pocket porting.

10. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

11. BowtieRed

those are good #'s but not very specific- i'm liking my last idea.

nevermind, i had missed the last 108 of them, that's a good site, and it made me like my last idea even more!

12. slimlynn1

slimlynn1 1/2 ton status

If you are going with your last idea don't forget to add the $375.00+ for the retrofit hydraulic roller lifters unless you have a roller block. But they are still not cheap. Is this for mud racing only. If it is I would go with a solid roller cam from Herbert Perfomance. Very good prices.

13. BowtieRed

which brings me to my next idea- Holley Systemax II and a Thunder Series 800CFM carb. it'll take me to around 425 hopefully!! and that's only about 1600 total!

14. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

If you really want good power STROKE it to a 383 get a good set of heads (vortec) or port yours pretty good, edelbrock RPM manifold, 230/236 xtreme comp camp, 1 5/8 headers, and a 750 carb, and a good ignition that combo will give you about 425-440hp and around 450ft-lbs

15. BowtieRed

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$