Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine mount replacement, 84 c-10 350

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Jan 9, 2005.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

just looking for any suggestions, tricks, tips, etc for replacing engine mounts on the 84 c-10 pickup out here with 76 350 in it, older 76 style manifolds and custom 2.25" duals,

im gonna do it out here in the driveway(read that as snow and slush and cold) and a big ass 5k lb cherry picker

you think i should lift one side at a time or just unbolt both and lift engine up ?

trans mount is brand spanking new so it isnt gonna break or anything, like the original one did when i was dropping the 350 in and trying to mate it to the bellhousing a few weeks back, in the garage

want to do this today and be done then go and swap the saginaw three speed out for the th350 and shorter driveshaft i have ready, after i go get a bunch of 5/16" tubing for trans cooler setup(very cheap)

im gonna have a whopping 16 and like 12 bucks in the mounts and trans conversion soon,

yank yank

oh and was 7 something for the trans mount hehe

gotta love chevies.

thanks

2. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

are you replacing the rubber? on my 89. it has clamshell style mounts. you have to pull them out, drill out the rivets to seperate the two halves, then replace the rubber and zip tie it back together. this was for poly mounts, maybe stock mounts they just give you the whole thing.

i did mine one at a time, and it was a bitch to get the first one back in causs it sat higher. maybe doing both at the same time would be easier.

i think if i was to do it again, i would pull one out, put the new one in but put the big long bolt in to hold it in place. then go to the next side and repeat. when both are in there then try lining up all the bolt holes. good luck

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yes clamshell 73-up normal nothing special, they give you entire mount at parts store, the case and all

im stuck right now cuz its gonna be a bitch no matter how i do it i have no way to just remove mounts from the frame cradle brackets, and getting holding the nuts under frame rail top lip and inside the cradle isnt gonna be any easier

especially out in snowy slushy driveway and they are rusty bad

so i dunno

hmm

damn i should have done this when engine was out

fudge.....

thanks

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I feel for ya...

I had to move the motor mounts to the other set of holes in the frame to allow the 305 I put in line up--(my 79 C10,it had a 250 six originally) and I think the 3 bolts that hold the mounts to the frame are the worst bolts to get at in the whole truck--it was definately the most difficult part of installing the engine,next to having to get the tranny muscled into place on the bell,while it was still attached to the driveshaft and mount..Glad I did it in august in the shop,and not in the slush out in the driveway--but I'm going to be working outside soon,I have to part out my 74 K20,and I dont want to spill all kinds of fluids in the shop,and not be able to park my plow truck in there--plus its too crowded in there,with all the firewood and other junk....so I hear ya when you say it sucks,been there----..