Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine noise coming through... cost to fix?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by SandSlugg, Oct 26, 2002.

1. SandSlugg

SandSlugg Registered Member

Here is my system:
    Fosgate Deck (CD/MP3 player)
    Fosgate Punch 100 running:
    -2 6.5 Eclipse mids
    -2 6.5 Cadence mids
    Fosgate Power 360.5 running:
    -1 10" Square Kicker SoloBaric Sub

I am getting noise from my engine through the speakers, I am wondering what it takes to fix this, and how much it costs.

Thanks Guys/Gals /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Quick Answer:

It's a common problem caused by a ground loop.

Consolidate ALL ground wires to a single clean spot on the chassis (amps, deck, etc). Don't ground things to the negative post of the battery directly.

3. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Ditto on Greg's statement & use a noise filter at the alternator as well.
    Bill

4. SandSlugg

SandSlugg Registered Member

kool thanks! will give that a go... /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

if that does not work get some fatter power and ground cables. and make the ground as short as you can. also, do not run the power wire near the RCAs or speaker wire.

6. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem with a fosgate amp. be sure you run the main power to the amp as far away from the RCA cable as possible. Opposite sides of the truck if you can. You can pick up a filter as well at any audio store. be sure you put in at the end of the RCA nearest the amp. The longer the RCA cable is the worse the noise will be. Fosgates pick up the noise very well though. It is a tough problem. Possibly use two ground wires from your battery as well. everything everyone else said is good advice as well. try it all. you still may have some noise. it is a difficult fix in a blazer.

7. Greg72

What a bunch of crap..... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

The noise is a result of poor signal to noise ratio and/or too much gain on the amp (input sensitivity is actually a more correct term.)

The real solution is to use a high quality head unit, with a high voltage output. When the head unit isn't very powerful, people tend to overboost the amps in an attempt to get more volume from the system....if the signal-to-noise ratio is weak, they end up boosting the noise floor of the system (engine noise, static, etc) and then go crazy looking for noise filters and other "bandaids" to fix the problem.

Start with a high quality deck (something with a maximum undistorted output voltage of 4 volts or higher) and these problems won't exist in the first place. The Blazer is NOT a difficult vehicle to install in....

BTW -> I've got 1600 Watts in mine, with NO engine noise whatsoever...! (and no goofy filters or "band aids") /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

No so much crap. I had the same problem gain up or down. I was using a Rockford Fosgate 400a4 amp. High quality. The head unit was a Kenwood, 2001 model retail about 320 bucks. I used 2 guage power, monster cable RCA. I dont think the problem was equipment quality. The filter fixed most of my problem. I moved the same setup to my VW GTI, from the blazer without adjusting anything and all was fine. no noise at all. So I respectfully disagree. It is not a bunch of crap.

9. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I have to agree with Greg on this one. Blazers are easy on stereos. After about a year of installing fulltime I got used to what cars/trucks were more prone to noise/interferance problems. 73-87(91) GM trucks, Blazers and burbs were not on the list.
    The shop I worked at didn't even sell any kind of filters or bandaids because they weren't necessary and none of the installers believed in them. When we had a car with a noise problem, we just went through the troubleshooting steps and found the problem and fixed it. Sometimes it was grounding or wire placement or faulty equipment, but the thing is, we always found the source of the problem instead of masking it. I know wierd things can happen and not all cars are the same, but for the hundreds that I worked on, thats the way it was.

10. Greg72

Zach,

Do me a favor....post the model # or specs on that Kenwood deck. If it's a high voltage output deck (not just a high DOLLAR deck) I'd be willing to reconsider my previous comments!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

11. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

Considering the fact that I sold the unit and replaced with an newer model, i dont recall the exact model. the point is, who cares. the idea in replying to this post is to help the guy who had the problem, not argue about things that frankly are meaningless to me. find a better way to spend your time than arguing about an off topic point in this forum. other people may enjoy it but I dont. so enough is enough. find something better to do with your time than start arguments for crying out loud.

12. Greg72

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    the idea in replying to this post is to help the guy who had the problem

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more...this forum is about helping people. There are people with a wide range of backgrounds and levels of expertise in here, and I think it's important to give everyone a chance to express their "opinions". However, if you make statements of "FACT" you had better be prepared to back them up.

13. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

14. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Use larger ground wire than power wire. Distribution blocks are good for amps and crossovers. Put fuses close to the battery and avoid running the power and rca cables together. If all else fails buy an inline filter for the stereo and rca filters for the amps.

15. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

and no goofy filters or "band aids")

[/ QUOTE ]
    I used rca filters for a short time until I relized that my rca's and my remote wire where run together. I ran my remote down the drivers side, rca's in the middle and 2Gauge power up the passengers side to a distribution block 2Gauge grounded to frame with a distribution block collecting the wires and VAWALA, no noise, no filters. But the down fall is $75+ in cables, $40 in distribution blocks, $35 in speaker wire, $30 in fuses versus $12 for a filter thats a two wire hookup. Just depends on if you want to do it right or quick and cheap. Alot of people dont like antenna boosters either but I used one in every vehicle till I got the Blazer (it seems the blazer gets better reception seeing as how it sets above the rest of the cars on the road). /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Jeremiah

16. Greg72

An excerpt from that link:

Her head unit's output was about 0.2V

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmm.....interesting! I'll bet he could have saved a LOT of time by simply trying a decent quality head unit instead of doing all those wiring/shielding experiments. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif