Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine noise, no check lites,etc.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BOWTIE350, Mar 26, 2000.

1. BOWTIE350

BOWTIE350 Newbie

i have an 87 K5 with a 350. There is a constant click, click click noise that comes from around the flywheel area. I just got the truck and it had the wrong cover on the flywheel and it was rubbing. I checked the flywheel bolts and there tight. Anyone have any ideas what it could be. I really dont want to get into ripping the motor apart. I hope there isnt a spun bearing or anything of that nature. Could it be a stuck lifter? Im just tossin up ideas here so someone give me a few more. Also how hard is it to replace the bulbs for all the check lites behind the dash???

Justin
    87K5

2. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Currently my blazer has a heavy duty flywheel cover. Also, is your flywheel only touching in one place, or all over, if not, your flywheel could be bent. If so, that could be why the cover isn't the correct one. Also, when I got my Blazer, it had a low end knock. I was POSITIVE that it was a rod knock. On the verge of pulling the motor and having it rebuilt, I was advised to pull the the flywheel cover, and check the the torque on the flywheel bolts. That was my problem. As far as changing the lights, you need to pull the instrument cluster face off, remove the plastic lens, and than start pulling the off the instruments that have the lights that are out.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

3. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

It could be a lifter and an adjustment might help. Also, exhaust leaks will sound like a clicking sound under load. Take the flywheel cover off and see what happens. They do make some stephascopes (spelling?) for automotive use which will help track down the culprit.

Shawn
    87 K5

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

If you use the stethoscope, <font color=red>BE GODD@MN CAREFUL AROUND ROTATING PARTS!! <font color=black> I had the...opporitunity...to see the results of not paying attention to rotating parts. Radiator fan 1, mechanic 0. Please be careful.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

5. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

about them stethascopes...
    We were adjusting my valves this Saturday and I learned a cool way to tell which rocker was chattering after all of them were adjusted.. Just hold a screwdriver to your ear and listen.. It worked wonderfully.hold the handle to your ear and the end to the part you wanna listen to.

<font color=red>Zack Carlson</font color=red>
    <font color=yellow>Carlson@thestix.net</font color=yellow>

6. OLDSTEEL

OLDSTEEL 1/2 ton status

I have used the screwdriver trick many times before and found, it works better if you place the tip of screw driver behind your ear on the bone. It also helps to wear ear plugs, to block out the background noise(like the wife nagging behind you). And as the others said be very cautious.

74 K5

Leave it like you found it, or better!