Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine noise

Discussion in 'Audio' started by delta9blazer, May 15, 2000.

1. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

just got my sounds back after 6 long months. glad to have 'em, but there's a problem that wasn't there before (at least, not nearly this bad).
    i have a wicked whine coming through the speakers, lower than the audio signal from the deck, but it increases with engine's rpm's. if i'm cruising, i can crank the volume, and drown the whine out. but if i'm accelerating uphill, for example, it gets pretty damn loud.
    list the things i need to check/tighten, perhaps some mods (power source, mounting, etc).
    thanks, audio geeks!

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

2. walrus101

walrus101 Registered Member

usualyy it is from a ground, but you can go to any radio shop or some auto zones and get a filter. it usually 2.00 to 10.00 bucks depending on how good you get. it whined thru mine and the filter fixed it.

walrus101

goo goo gaju

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

It's definitely the ground..........should be a wire that goes from the deck to the firewall, I believe.

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

One area overlooked when troubleshooting alt whine is the ground that goes from the battery to the engine block or it can go to the frame..this is a 14 or 12 gage wire..try replacing it with a 8 gage wire. Also if you have your sensativity cranked on your amp it will amplify the alt whine. Jegs sells a filter used in race cars with high tech communication equip you may want to check it out.

5. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

I'd use the filter as a last resort. Usually you can find the problem without having to spend any money for crap like that. Check and see if power/ground wires are crossing patch cables/speaker wire somewhere. If a power and speaker wire run parallel then noise can result. If they have to cross they must cross perpendicular to each other. That's all I can think of, that solved my problems.

6. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

well, i pulled the dash apart (again) and monkeyed around in there for a little while last night. i didn't seem to notice that the ground had a bad connection. in fact, it looks like when the original owner had the stereo installed, they used the stock, delco connections. the only loose connection i saw was the antenna. might've been it, i guess. i kinda pushed and poked all the wires back there, and loked at it sternly, and buttoned it back up. the whine is all but gone, so i'm happy.
    there's just the slightest whine between songs, or dead air time. if the deck is on cd, but there's no disc in, it's quiet. but when i'm crankin' oingo boingo, and the song ends, i can plainly hear static. it's not the noise form ADD recording, it's my deck. i can live with it, but it's something i'd like to address eventually.
    anyway, i appreciate all the input. my ears thank you.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>