Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine noise...

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by Capman2k, Mar 30, 2002.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I know there's already a post about this made earlier, but it doesn't help me... I have my CB plugged into the cigarette lighter (so I can just unplug it instead of unwire the whole thing), and have pretty bad engine noise... How can I fix that WITHOUT having to hard-wire it to my truck?

2. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

Well you could hardwire the cigarette lighter to the battery, positive and negative wires. Make sure to put an inline fuse in. What sort of radio is it? You could make a quick disconnect for it out of a weather pak connector or something like that. My radio just came standard with a simple plug you can unplug from the back of the radio when you want to unplug it. Unfortunately most low to mid-level radios don't have that... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif I'd go with the quick disconnect and hard wire the wires feeding the radio straight to battery.

Also ensure the alternator is properly grounded, and that your plug wires are in good shape and are the resistor variety, as well as resistor plugs... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.wilsonantennas.com>www.wilsonantennas.com</a> or if that doesn't work, then without the s at the end. has some great technical information in their site about engine noise, etc and how to track down problems. It applies even if you do not own a wilson antenna. It's under Tech Support or Troubleshooting. I forget what they call their link. They even list how to make a "sniffer" to locate where the RF interference is coming from and how to use it... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Good luck. Keep us posted...

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I HAD THAT PROBLEM. I FIXED IT THE EASY WAY. I BOUGHT A NOISE FILTER. IT WIRES INTO THE POWER WIRES. YOU CAN GET THEM AT ANY STERIO SHOP. THEY WORK GOOD ON CB'S

4. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

See my similar reply <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=CB&amp;Number=384562&amp;page=0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;vc=1>here</a>.