Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine noise

Discussion in 'Audio' started by funkycold, Aug 28, 2003.

1. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

i just replaced my old Kenwood KDC-3011 with a Pioneer DEH-P3500. I did not have any engine noise with the Kenwood and now after installing the Pioneer engine noise is a prominent part of listening to the radio and CD player now. Being the radio is the only thing that was replaced and no spearkers were replaced in the process, would the radio alone cause this engine noise to appear or is there something that i am missing?
    Any suggestions????

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Possibilities:

1. Poor ground on deck
    2. Bad power supply isolation in new deck
    3. Low voltage output resulting in poor S/N ratio (immunity from noise)

3. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

Thanks Greg!
    a few more ???? if you don't mind.......

[ QUOTE ]
    1. Poor ground on deck

[/ QUOTE ]
    would it be best to find a good ground on the body somewhere? Is it good or bad to ground to the battery?

[ QUOTE ]
    2. Bad power supply isolation in new deck

[/ QUOTE ]
    Battery again, should it be wired to the positive side of battery or best to use the factory wires for the always hot wire and/or the switched wire?

[ QUOTE ]
    3. Low voltage output resulting in poor S/N ratio (immunity from noise)

[/ QUOTE ]
    What could cause this? Is this something from the radio or sires from the radio that can be checked?

Thanks again /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

To elaborate.....

1. Poor Ground. Just be sure the ground on the deck is secure, if you are grounding the deck to the sheetmetal on the firewall, etc....just make sure you have a clean metal contact. This might also be a good time to trace ALL the other ground straps back to the negative side of the battery....make sure that the connections are clean and tight. Those "braided" straps are notorious for causing problems...sometimes they ground poorly even when they look OK. Remember, ultimately everything electrical has to travel back to the battery on those ground straps....even if you use a chassis ground.

2. & 3. There's not much you can do if these are your issue. Poor power supply isolation is a "polite" way of saying that the power supply in the deck is not well designed and is picking up noise (or I suppose creating noise). Low voltage output is another thing that's beyond your control....if the deck is designed to have strong output voltage, the signal will be VERY immune to picking up inducted noise from the rest of the electrical system. If the voltage is low (poorly designed), it will be easy for other electrical signals to "couple" with the output signal and give you the resulting whine in your speakers....

If a check of the grounds doesn't solve your problem....it's probably the decks fault. If it's new, return it and try to get a better quality deck with at least 4 volt pre-amp outputs (BTW -> I'm assuming that you are running a system with amplifiers??...not simply speakers off the built-in amp)