Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine not firing on all 8 cylinders

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76_Cheyenne, Nov 9, 2002.

1. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

Every once in a while when I start my engine it wont be running on all 8 cylinders, but after a few minutes the last one kicks in. For example, I started it up and it ran great, drove to the store, when I got back in the truck and started the engine, It was only running on 7. I just replaced the plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor a few weeks ago the first time this happened. Is it just because of the cold weather here in Montana? cause once it's warm it runs fine, anything I can do to fix it?

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you need a choke adjustment. Your '76 probably has the divorced stlye choke. There will be a housing with a little rod comming of the passenger side of the intake manifold, that controls your choke. Bending the rod makes the choke close more and straightening makes it open more. If you have to pump the truck more than once or at the most twice to start it, your choke is to lean. If you're rolling out black when its not warm, then you are too rich with your choke.

3. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Make sure all of your new plug wires are seated fully, on the cap & the plugs. Also make sure the wires aren't touching each other or arching around the exhaust/head. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif