Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Oil Cooler in Rad???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Canadian Trailblazer, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Canadian Trailblazer

Canadian Trailblazer Registered Member

I have a large rad from a diesel with an engine oil cooler in it. Would it be a good idea to drill and tap my new 383 somewhere to run oil to this cooler? Where does the oil come from/return to on a diesel? Do ya think it would be reliable as its a used rad? Any ideas/experience would be appreciated. Thanx /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

No need to drill and tap your engine anywhere. Find an oil-cooler adapter (a piece that bolts between the block and the oil filter) for a 350...there are a bunch out there.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yep, see them on vans and caprices and such that have towing and/or 9C1 packages, also 70s big 10 pickups, 80s c20 burbs, etc.

4. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

I have a diesel rad hooked up to my 350 engine oil. Get the oil adaptor which goes onto the 350 block (after you remove the old oil filter fitting). The oil filter then screws onto the adaptor, and you get 2 oil ports available just above the oil filter. I bought my adaptor at GM dealer, wasn't too expensive.

The oil fittings on the rad are a UND thread. I couldn't find any proper fittings, so I silver-brazed some custom fittings from
    3/4-18 UND #8 Weatherhead tubing nuts. I used small hydraulic system hoses with swivel fitting on one end (don't use hose clamps).

5. Canadian Trailblazer

Canadian Trailblazer Registered Member

Thanx for all the good help, guys. Now that I know how to do it, do you think it is necessary? I have 14 FF (detroit), D60 (Electrac), 4.56's, 37" SSR's, a mild EFI 383ci,early NV4500, hydro steering and onboard air, and I am planning a trip IN AUGUST down to see y'all in Cali and maybe Baja if someone will take me. Would I be wasting my time going to the trouble to use this oil cooler?/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status