Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine oil dipstick differences?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by boots, May 21, 2005.

1. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

What the difference between pre 80 and 80 beyod dipstick. I bought a "lovely" chrome dipstick for my motor, THe wife actually wanted some chrome under the hood. I can't read the oil level on it, yes there is oil on it just can't tell where the heck it is, can't find my oem one, lost during the move i guess. Pulled one off the driverside of a POS today as mine is a DS motor and it seems quite a bit longer than the one i have in it at the moment. Still mumbling to myself "Screw it get a lokar, may as well get the firewall mount one for tranny too, But Honey they'll Match then."

Shawn

2. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Just compare the 2 sticks and see if the marks line up, and that the length is right. If one, or the other, is off, then keep looking.

I compared my 89 K5's 700r4 stick to my 97 4L60E's "locking style" and they were right on... which I figured they would be. So I plan to change over to a locking stick to hopefully cut down any chances of an engine compartment fire.

3. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

trans isn't the problem, yet. The dipsticks on the motors mounted on opposite sides and possibly other differences and I don't have my oem one to compare to. Sorry bou confusion should have just mentioned the engine.

4. poinzey

poinzey 1/2 ton status

I has the same problem with mine when the chrome dipstick that was on it broke. Don't remember the exact differences, basically ones short and ones long. I ended up buying trhe longer style and using the old tube. Had to cut off an inch or two to get it the right length, then changed the oil and made my own lines while filling it back up.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

80 up are longer than 79-55 ones, by far

huge difference

even the 60s ones and older seem to be shorter even yet than the 70s ones, but it may just appear that way, i have a few of each decade laying around i could compare, side by side but i just never get around to it

good luck

6. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

No, I know you're talking about the engine. Like I said, just make sure that the marks on the stick you try line up with the factory, and the length as well. I just mentioned the tranny since I too was looking to swap. I figure if the length is correct, and the "add' marks line up then it should be OK.

I would try autozone or something like that.. it can't cost all that much, and will be better than seaching all over for the one you need.