Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine oil pressure "tap" points, SBC

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dyeager535, Jun 2, 2003.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Engine oil pressure \"tap\" points, SBC

Just kinda screwing around with ideas in my head as I get closer and closer to finishing my motor.

Since I've got to run an oil pressure switch and a gauge sending unit, what if I can't "t" them at the stock location next to the distributor?

Been looking in wrecking yards, and noticed that 80's TBI vans (at least some) have the oil pressure sender above the oil filter.

There is also the plug at the front of the block, behind the water pump.

I dont have any oil flow diagrams handy, so I'm not sure of the flow from oil pump onwards. I'm guessing that the one next to the dist is "closest" to the pump, the one on the front of the block second, and the one above the oil filter last. But I really have no clue.

The best situation is to have the oil pressure switch see 5PSI as fast as possible, while the sender doesn't really matter, as IMO, that gauge is relative: if it's 30 psi all the time then goes to 0, you have a problem, regardless if it was ever *really* 30psi, as long as it was reading consistently.

Anyways, realistically, having the sender and switch at the same place next to the distributor is ideal (wiring length, ease) but I'm just trying to come up with the best option in case they both won't fit there. It's not too much of a stretch to the location above the oil filter, but I haven't checked clearance in that location either.

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Re: Engine oil pressure \"tap\" points, SBC

I thought the oil pump picked up the oil from the pan, pumped it through the filter, then on to the rest of the motor?

3. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    I thought the oil pump picked up the oil from the pan, pumped it through the filter, then on to the rest of the motor?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are probably correct! I just can't find anything stating the oil path online to check out! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Are you switching to TBI or what? You could get the oil Pressure Sender/Switch that comes on the TBI trucks. It's a 2 in 1 (Pressure sender and switch), all you have to figure out is how they wire in. Mine taps in at that spot near the distributor...that's the only place I've seen things tapped in at.
    I did have a 2.8 S-10 Blazer that had a pressure switch and seperate sender on a T in that port about the filter mount. That's is sealed with a plug on the small block, but I imagine it's the same thing.

5. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    Are you switching to TBI or what?

[/ QUOTE ]

TPI, but for this issue, same difference.

I wasn't aware there was an "all in one" sender/switch for the oil pressure. It's a 3 prong unit? I knew eventually they would go to that to save space, or use one sensor for both, but all TBI vehicles I've looked at (not many) have seperate senders and switches.

What application are you talking about?

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

My '91 4.3 liter S-Jimmy has the oil pressure sender and the oil pressure switch for the fuel pump relay integrated into a single unit. It's back near the distributor. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Time for ya to hit the junkyard! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. dyeager535

You expect me to find something '91-up in the wrecking yard?? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm sure I'll have no problem knowing one when I see it, but what do they look like? I'm kinda curious as to whether or not they will be compatible with our stock gauges. Whats the PSI on the Jimmy's gauge? If it's 60, and not digital, it may just work.

8. HarryH3

The yards here are littered with dead S-10's of about any vintage you want. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Mine has the digital dash, 0-80 PSI, but the analog gauges were much more common. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. dyeager535

Well, if the gauges were mechanical 60 or 80PSI units, then I might be able to make it work as long as I use the right PSI truck gauge. I'll definitely keep my eyes open, maybe I'll get lucky and find one. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. HarryH3

A sender for an analog gauge should provide the same signal as the sender for a digital gauge. The analog-to-digital converter in the digital gauge is what turns the analog signal into a digital reading. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I'd be surprised if they take different senders.

11. dyeager535

Well if digital to analog is done with the gauge, thats cool. Only "problem" then is finding the right PSI gauge for our trucks. Diesels are 80PSI gauges and gas is obviously 60. I have both though, so no problems there.

I saw some of the 2.8 cars had a "sensor" in the block that was 3 prong, I kinda guessed thats what that was.
    Gonna have to play around with this /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12. HarryH3

Mine is an 80 PSI gauge on the 4.3. It hits 80 PSI when it is started first thing in the morning, then settles down to about 40 PSI after it warms up. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

All electrical gauges are basically just voltmeters. Apply 12 volts across a known resistance and calibrate the face of the gauge (or the digital readout) accordingly. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif So the question becomes, does a GM 80 PSI sending unit provide the same resistance value for X pounds of pressure as a GM 60 PSI sending unit? If so, then the sender would work with either gauge.

13. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    does a GM 80 PSI sending unit provide the same resistance value for X pounds of pressure as a GM 60 PSI sending unit?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they don't. Actually looked in a catalog a few years back and they were measured in Ohms, from 0-60 (I think) for the 60PSI unit and 0-90 for the 80PSI unit.

14. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

There is a place to hook them on the side of the block between cylinders # 5 and 7, sometimes there is a place on the top left side of the timing cover area on the flat casting (while looking at the block from the front), and of course by the distributor. Between 5 and 7 is the one for the gauge and the switch should hook up by the distibutor if you want to do it right.

John