Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Oil?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JeremyK5, Jan 9, 2002.

1. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Today I checked my oil and it was almost a quart low. When I took off the filler cap it was covered with a thin layer of a white-ish gel, and it had a fairly strong gas smell. What could cause this? How soon do I need to change the oil, immediately or can I put it off for a week or two?

2. JeremyK5

3. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Sounds like water in your oil. that is bad. Could be a blown head gasket or a cracked head or block. Don't take my word for it I am not a mechanic, I just play one on tv...I mean in my back yard.

If you knew the truth, you too would be against marijuana prohibition!
    Blue '74 K5 Blazer Topless W/ 35 BFG Muds (See profile for pics)

4. 1975k5

1975k5 Registered Member

How far do you usually drive your Blazer? Sounds to me like you have a buildup of condensation or moisture in your valve cover. That means that you should let your engine come up to operating temp as often as you can when you drive. This burns the condensation or moisture from the oil. Water in the oil will show up on the dipstick as a milky substance not looking like oil. Also, your oil level will be high and water level will be low.

But, thats my opinion. Tom

5. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

I agree with 1975k5.
    My 87 did this too, like a snotty substance under the oil filler cap. Nothing unusual on the dipstic, though.
    Now, my new truck (same year and engine) shows nothing underneatth the cover.
    I was told by a mechanic that it does not always mean headgasket failure, but could just be condensation from not running at temp, as stated above.
    how is your coolant level?

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
    - General John Sedgwick (1813-1864), last words

6. You say there is a strong gas odor coming from your oil. Do you have to let your truck warm up considerably when you first start it up? The reason I ask is that I had a similar problem on an 85 Caprice I used to own. It ended up the choke was not working properly and I was washing raw gas past the rings and into the oil. Yes, drain your oil immediately. When you do, more than likely your oil will run out extremely thin, and the gas odor will be even more apparent. It is more than likely something faulty w/ the carb (assuming this is carburated engine). A rebuilt carb or a new carb is the only fix. If you have fuel injection, it could be something similar, but by all means, drain your oil quickly, as gas is not a good lubricant!

American by birth, Marine by the grace of God

7. JeremyK5

Usually I don't let it warm up for more than 30 sec in the morning because I'm always running late. (oversleeping) I have the non-electric automatic choke, and I only drive 3 miles in the morning, 3 miles at 1:00, and about 12 miles in the evening. Should I also put in a 195* thermostat for winter? Right now I'm running a 160*. What about a manual choke, how hard is that to do? Also the antifreeze is a little murky, but no oil floating in it, and the dipstick looked normal when I checked it, except for being a quart low.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

By all means go to a 195 and stay with it. Guess condensation is yet another reason not to run the colder thermostats. Hadn't thought of that one. You aren't really driving very far, recommnedations I have seen say at least 15 seconds if idle before moving the vehicle is best. Takes me over 3 miles before the ENTIRE engine is warm, like the carb etc. Temp gauge is coming up, but its by no means warm. Not running the vehicle long enough also causes exhaust to rot out quickly, as the condensation is never "burned out" of the exhaust completely.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?