Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine oil?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1st timer, Dec 13, 2000.

1. 1st timer

1st timer Registered Member

is 10-40 to thin an oil for an engine with over 160k miles if it is what do you guys recommend

2. Rayven90

Rayven90 Registered Member

I have 152,000 on mine and I still run 10-30 with about 50 psi on the guage. I also have Fuel injection so I need that thinner oil when I first start up.

Ray

3. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

I've been using 10-30 Penzoil since brand new. This AM though when really cold...could hear what sounded like a main bearing knocking for a bit. At 180,000, I know I'll be shopping for a motor before long.

Would you guys recommend a 5 wt. for the above symptoms? Today was the first time I heard it!

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Hey Bob- my truck does the same cold start knocking when my oil starts to get dirty and the filter plugs up a bit. Normally an oil change will fix it right up. FYI, it's been hitting -20 Farenheit for the last few nights up here.

I've been running 10w30 both winter and summer for 8 years.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Can you even buy 10-40 any more? That stuff got a bad reputation several years ago because of all the chemical additives they have to add to get the 30-point viscosity spread. The additives were caking onto the piston rings and causing them to break prematurely.

I run Mobil 1 pure synthetic, since they don't have to use additives to get it to behave in different temps. Seems to be great stuff!

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

6. Channing74

Channing74 Registered Member

Down here in louisiana we dont worry about extreme temps other than heat so I run 30w to keep the valve guides from leaking so much. But when I replace the motor in a couple of months I will be going for Mobile 1 ......

Bigger Is Better
    Channing74

7. mudpuppy89k5

mudpuppy89k5 Registered Member

I've been running Castrol straight 30W in my '89 since it was new. Blazer has 200,000 miles and the engine doesn't leak or burn any oil. I ran the 30W in a '85 K20 before I bought the Blazer and in a '73 Z/28 before that. A buddy and I had a boat a while back with twin 350 inboards. We ran the same 30W Castrol and PF-35 filters in it. I also put the 30W in my lawnmower. I guess you can tell I like it.

The only problem I've had is that the 30W can get pretty thick on cold mornings. In the past, I've run Castrol 20W50 in the winter months. A friend of mine suggested Shell Rotella-T 15W40 which I'm going to try this year.

I've had an occasional knocking sound when I first crank the Blazer for quite a while. I tried different oil additives and it didn't seem to make a difference. It hasn't gotten any worse and still runs strong, so I quit worrying about it. I'm planning on building a four bolt main 350 or, even better, a 454, so that problem becomes moot.

John Perry
    http://www.mudpuppy.coloradok5.com/

8. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i also run 30w in mine with no problems

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

9. Hobbes68

Hobbes68 Registered Member

I use 10W30 in the winter months and 20W50 in the summer months. 117,000 miles and no problems...

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Don't run the Mobil 1 in a fresh rebuild. It's too slippery to let the rings seat themselves correctly. Run a good grade of standard oil for the first 10K miles or so and then go to Mobil 1.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

11. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I run Pennzoil 10w-40 in mine and never had a problem at 134K

90K5

12. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I also use 10w-40 and never had a problem.

If it ain't a Chevy, don't raise it up!