Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Only has oil pressure on one side?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazerpro79, Jan 19, 2007.

1. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, This may be a little off topic but I have a question about my small block (350) for my 65 Corvette. I installed the motor recently and am getting ready to start it up, but I only get oil pressure on the left side and through the cam journal, under the intake manifold, nothing on the right side to the oil passages. Any ideas what it could be? The guage reads almost 50 psi. The motor was just recently rebuilt professionally. Thanks in advance.

2. bigblazer87

bigblazer87 1/2 ton status

In that case, I'd take it back to the guy who built the motor. An honest engine builder backs up his motors, so you shouldn't have a problem. It might be something blocking an oil passage down in the motor. Hard to say really...

3. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

what oil passages, the ones to the rockers, or what. How much of the engine is assembled?

4. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

The motor was fully assembled when purchased, that is, from the oil pan to the carb. I bought it from across the country and it is in the car. I really dont want to pull it unles it is neccessary. Yes the oil passages to the rockers. When I took off the timing chain cover, there are the 3 passages for oil to come forward, obviously the middle one plugged. The pass. side is where I am not getting the pressure.

5. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Keep running the engine and it will eventually start pumping oil. If it was filled through the driver side valve cover its going to take a little while for the oil to get pumped through the passenger side.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It *sounds* like you are trying to prime it. Using a modified distributor?

Only easy thing I can think of is trying to prime an engine with no distributor in it, which only oils half the engine. Need the distributor to get oil to both sides.

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i had the same thing only 1 side. i said screw it and fired it up. i was fine pleanty of oil . so i say fire it and see what ya get. if it dont feed oil after a few then you will know its good or not.

8. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Thats what it is---if you are not using a dist. then only one side will get oil....

9. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The early engines use a different rear cam bearing. The 3 holes you can see up front behind the timing gear are ALL supposed to have a plug in them. Also as was already said you must have a distributor housing in place in order to get pressure to both sides of the engine.