Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Options

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k6bowles, Apr 27, 2003.

1. k6bowles

k6bowles Registered Member

Have a 91 Jimmy w/ a worn out 5.7L TBI, and 4L60 w/ 10 bolts in both ends. So, stock!! Looking for some options to replace the engine and wondered what you all would recommend? Only thing to keep in mind is I would like to still be able to run it on the highway and use pump gas. Of course, increasing power is essential! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

try checking out the crate motors available from chevy. they have quite a few choices to choose from.

3. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

try checking out the gm performance catalog....that 502 RAM AIR one is looking pretty ideal for your situation....I don't remember how much power it has offhand....but somewhere between henious and ungodly. Hope you have Dana 60s sitting in your backyard ... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

seriously though....I would recommend an edelbrock crate engine if its in your price range....the 310 hp performer might not give the power increase (310 HP and 375 ftlbs)that you're looking for....but its a great setup. It suppossedly runs on regular gas....but i have problems with dieseling when I run mine on 87 octane....so I try to put midgrade in whenever possible. Other than that I love the engine. The GM crate engines are also great....perhaps the ZZ4?

4. k6bowles

k6bowles Registered Member

Thanks for the options! Now I just have to make a decision, 502 or the Mortgage??? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Any other suggestions anyone has would be helpful. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. 91GMCSuburban

91GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Do a mild rebuild (upgrade cam, intake, vortech heads) and then change the gearing in your axles. Also, try a performance chip. I have the Jet 6 pack and love it. K&N Filter helps the breathing a bit too.

What ever you decide, if you keep the TBI setup, let me know via pm. I'd be interesting in seeing what other people do with a similar setup as mine.

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

6. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

Check with Z3PR, he has a lot of opinions, probably the ZZ502!

Seriously, a motor choice depends on what you plan on doing with the truck. If you're gonna keep it stock or only do light wheeling with it, a 305 or 350 crate engine, mildly hopped up, would be your best choice.

7. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Check with Z3PR, he has a lot of opinions, probably the ZZ502!

[/ QUOTE ] Yeap, lots of opinions. Mostly being of what is in the person's price range, what thier app is, do they wanta stay FI (Factory equiped) but most importently, what the owner wants to do. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif With that being said, I'd probley buy a wrecked vechile with a good motor, put said good motor into the truck, then rebuild/build up the motor that came out as I can afford it.