Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine or tranny?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85chevyblazerbeast, Mar 26, 2004.

1. 85chevyblazerbeast

85chevyblazerbeast Newbie

lately my blazer has been actin up like crazy...when i slow to a stop or start to take off (so between 0-20 mph) it will sometimes shake like crazy, and sometimes its fine...i know i need a new engine due to the fact that my #8 and #6 cylinders are both bad...today after making my paycheck run, i was on my way home and it felt like it had no power all the way home...then when i turned on to a road 2 miles from my house, i lost all power to my rear wheels, i have NO idea what the hecks up with it /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif...ive only been doing stuff with trucks for about 2 years, so im completely clueless, so any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Sounds like tranny to me...more specifically, sounds like the torque converter is going bad. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Did you check the ujoints?

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Sounds like a tranny to me too /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. spac30dyss3y

spac30dyss3y Registered Member

i agree with the torque converter problem as well. my blazer would shift into 2nd gear and then vibrate badly, like "letting the clutch in after shifting from 2 to 5 in a standard tranny"... found out today that a microswitch in my 700r4 burned out and it was causing the problem... luckily it's not the torque converter itself for me, just the switch, everythings mechanically okay... so check that out...

6. 85chevyblazerbeast

85chevyblazerbeast Newbie

ive been paying more attention to when it starts shaking to try to give you guys some more feedback to find out whats up with it...and it starts doing that when i drive it for more than 30 minutes at a time, like it gets heated up and then starts doing that...but when i drive it from home to school, its fine (10 minute drive)...still think its the torque converter? TH350 for a reminder...and if it is the torque converter, should i lay down some extra cash for a higher rpm stall or just go with the cheapest replacement?

7. DieselBurb

DieselBurb 1/2 ton status

It could also be the clutch plates chattering when the oil gets hot. FWIW, if it's the torque converter going bad, you don't really want to just replace the converter...you'll want to have the tranny rebuilt (personal experience and things that go boom /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif). When the converter goes bad, it sends millions of tiny metal pieces through the arteries of your tranny and they can clog the valve body causing a multitude of problems.