Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine paint

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Tshane, Dec 26, 2002.

1. Tshane

Tshane 1/2 ton status

Have any of you used the duplicolor high temp (1200) orange engine paint??

How close does that look to chevy orange??

2. Tshane

Tshane 1/2 ton status

Come on someone out there must of used this paint /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

yep I used it and it works, I buy the chevy orange fron Checkers for $3.60 a can. Really makes a motor look nice! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    As always prep work is key, so do good job on the degreaseing, easy to do with the engine on an engin stand too, I also used it on my brackets . Look at my web pics and you can see the side shot off my motor.

later Shawn /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

Hey Supersize 75.....You must have some of those new "wireless" spark plug wires on your 396. Or are they the clear 8.5mm silicone wires? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

I also use those clear heads and vavlve covers, carb and air cleaner! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Naw I just was taken the top end off to replace my push rods and installed roller rockers /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    , just installed them on christmas but I have to wait till saterday to set them. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

good eye, good eye!.........ya didn't notice my front diff on the drivers side though /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif.........i fliped the pic /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

I just used some VHT, but glossy black. The finish is awesome, but I have not used it in Chevy Orange.

As you probably know, prep is definitely important. My approach was first to pressure the engine, than I sprayed it with Castrol cleaner. Let it dry, then used my drill and a wire brush to knock the rest of the crude off. Then sprayed it numerous times with the Castrol Cleaner. Once it was looking very clean I took a spray bottle and sprayed the block about 3 times with Acetone to get any remaining grease and grime off. Really looked good and I'm thinking the paint should stay on a long time.

7. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

I personnally like plasti-kote, it makes the engine look like it was waxed, really nice.