Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine performance questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by weisel, Apr 4, 2002.

1. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

Ok, first I am going to rebuild my 400 since it just took a crap on me. I am in no hurry because I have got another engine in there and it will work until I get this one where I want it. I want to go slow and do it right.
    What is meant by a three angle valve job?
    What valve sizes for low and midrange power?
    Favorite cams anyone?
    I am not planning on going the high compression route because I want to run on 87 pump gas.
    Favorite phoenix area machine shops? I was told around 170 bucks for boreing and honeing my block, and 107 for grinding my crank. Dose that sound right?
    Favorite parts place? I am going to need pistons/gaskets/timing set/cam shaft/berrings/rings.

2. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

You may want to find a performance shop and have them just build you a bottom end or motyor you would like... or at least have them order up all the parts for the lower half. Many times they get a price break and you end up paying about the same for your parts after the mark up (thus the shop makes money on the parts... you don't have to worry about them, generally shipping is lost in the mix, and then many times the shop is much more leanant on cuttying a deal for machinig prices)

A three angle valve job to make things simple is cleaning extra waterial off the back side of the valve and matching the head to it. It is a great investment for flow.

Power... cam... all that depends... what heads do you plan to run? Do you want torque or hp? are you gonna do a roller cam?

3. CaptCrunch

Oh yeah... either 2.02 would be the best depending on where youwant you curves at. I'd look more at the intake port sizes though... I would look for a 170 to 190 if you want torque, and 200-220 for mid to upper rpm.

Also always a good question... how much you looking to spend and how much perfromacne you looking for?

4. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

I am not sure on the heads. Was thinking on just enlarging the valve sizes (1.74 or there close) to 1.94 or like you said 2.02. I also wanted to match port and polish the intake and exhaust ports and the intake manifold. I want low rpm torque for wheeling and driving/economy reasons. I wasn't planning on spending the extra money to go with a roller cam. I dont want to go broke gong all out on extreamly hgh performance parts.

5. CaptCrunch

enlarging the valves in a stock crappy casting isn't worth the money. You have a couple valve size options with the World products SR Torquers and the vortecs have a 1.94 intake valve if I remeber right. Both are priced right and will yeild excellent torque with the right cam. Non-roller will be ok for you. Additional performance could be gained by getting beter cylinder heads, but you have to weigh the $$$ for the extra power. A 400 with a set or worked SR torquers can yeild over 450 ft-lbs with the right cam and setup. 8.5 to one compression... SR's with a 3 angle valve job when you drill them for the steam holes, and a 250ish hyd cam should put you in the 400-450 ft-lbs of torque from 1,000 or 1,500 rpm all the way to 3500 or 4000 rpm. Hp numbers wouldn't be real impressive, but that sucker would be a stump puller. You could also make similar numbers with the vortecs... both of the heads would be a great start