Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine performance ??'s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Big10, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Big10

Big10 Registered Member

engine performance ??\'s

Okay..I have searched until my headache's. I'm running a straight stock engine, i need more power. I realise that the power of my engine depends on the power of my pocket book, but Im not gonna try to burn off a set of 44in boggers either. I'm running 350/th350/203 ..35 inch MTR's and 4.10's. Its just lacking in power dept. is all. Do i want to fool with headers? I've heard/and read that they were a pain, but some people say they are the best upgrade you can make for little money. I personally dont have experience with headers. Then there is the intake, i've heard its just as good for boat anchor as it is an intake. What about a cam, do i really want/need a cam? This truck is mainly driven in the woods or felids so terain will vary from pavement to deep a$$ mud. any ideas? I hope no one beats hell out of me for waking up a dead horse. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Re: engine performance ??\'s

Have you already done the basics? Like advancing the timing, tuning the mixture, replacing plugs, wires, etc ... ?

How many miles are on your motor? With 4.10's and 35"s, you should have plenty of power if your 350 is running good.

I would look at the basics before I went tearing into the motor ..... but that's just me /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thomas.

3. Big10

Big10 Registered Member

yep, I have done the basics. New wires, advanced timing, new plugs, and built the carb. The motor is alot stronger since I put the 4.10's in, but I feel like Im still lacking power somewhere. I also put new exhaust on (dual dynomax turbos) Maybe i'm expecting to much???? Oh yeah, the motor has relatively low miles and good compression.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I just put headers, an intake, and port matched my heads to my intake a little yesterday, I have a cam in my motor and I must say the headers woke it up. I need a new carb like you wouldn't believe but through creeper and first it throws you back in the seat. Third its dying cause of the carb and 2.73s. I am puting 4.10s and 35 MT/Rs under it soon and a brand new Edelbrock carb so I should be plenty good to go soon. Cam, headers, intake are the best and easiet(as well as cheapest mods). And when you take the intake off you will see the stock head ports well it almost made me cry looking at those things. Look at the gasket and see rectangles look at the heads and see triangles, how ugly.

5. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

Does it have the performance you want when in 4-lo? Might just be a gearing down thing or expecting more than what is really going to be there. Good intake and headers will give you a little more help, but is a little what you are looking for. 150 shot of nitrous would probably make the biggest difference for the money. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Big10

Big10 Registered Member

performance in 4Lo is fine, its the hauling/towing/pulling makes it feel sluggish. What got me concerned was the other day I was hauling a small tractor on a 18 foot trailer, and the truck acted like it was mad at me /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif cuz of the extra weight. My 99 will pull the same rig with ease.

7. Stoopalini

Your '99 is probably fuel injected and therefore adjusts the mixture appropriately for the conditions. It will be very difficult to get your carbed motor to respond/react like your FI motor.

What kind of carb are you running, and what do you mean by 'built the carb'? If it's running rich, it'll be sluggish when put under a load (like towing).

If it turns out you're making all the power you can with your current setup, I would recommend headers as your first upgrade. It's best to open up the rear of the air pump (headers) before trying to draw more into the front (intake).

Thomas.

8. Big10

Big10 Registered Member

yeah..its fuel injected.

By "built" I mean, "re-biult" as in dissasembled, soaked for three days, new float, gaskets etc...still very much stock, but seems to act and run fine. Its a rochester quad.

9. Stoopalini

Ahhh, ya, I've done the same thing many times to my carbs. Aren't those things a pain to adjust though? I never could seem to get the mixture right on them.

Have you checked out your plugs after running them for a bit? Just to see if they give you an indication of how the mixture is. If you have, how did they look?

Thomas.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

<--- hates QJets, my 355 never ran right with one on top of it

11. Big10

Big10 Registered Member

The Quadrejet doesnt bother me, it has always worked fine, even before i rebuilt it. I did that for the heck of it. Other than heat being wosre around the starter and floorboard, are there any other major concerns i should have before looking into a set of headers?

12. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

Access to spark plugs, flange thickness, and clutch linkage if you have a standard. Ask for some opinions. Some headers are easier to take off to change plugs than to work around.