Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Ping & Setting Tranny Kickdown

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by IGOR, Jul 6, 2000.

1. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Okay- Dumb question...

I know an engine will ping (under load) if the timing is to far advanced - what happens if it's too far retarded (the timing that is!)

Also - how does one go about setting the tranny kickdown on a T350 Tranny (with a Quadrjet Carb)

I had my friend work on my truck, and he screwed that up from what I'm used to...

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The cable is easy to reset. If you look where the cable mounts on the intake it had a section that you pop up with a screw driver. This will reset the cable and then just press the section back down. Without the truck running press the peddle to the floor and it will set the the cable.
    Now your ping problem is a fun one. Both your trucks are built to run leaded fuel. On my 75 I have to run about 4 deg to keep the ping down. On my 79 with full emmisions I run 10deg and never pings. If your truck has 3.08 gears and large tires thats not helping. Another thing that is not helping is sucking hot air from under the hood. On my 75 I'm putting an air cleaner from a 85 on is so I can hook up a intake hose from the grill like my 79. Just remember to turn the intake hose behind the battery when your wheeling if you have to make a water crossing. I may in the future put a snorkle on it.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

So how exactly do you know what degree it's on? I've always just pushed or pulled my distributor till it stops pinging. [​IMG]

89 K5 Silverado

4. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Use a timing light...it took me a few minutes to find the timing mark on my 86 305...you have to shoot directly straight down behind the water pump.

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

5. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

When you find the timing mark on the balancer, rub a piece of white chalk on it. That will make it much easier to see.
    Dont forget to disconnect the vaccum advance from the distributer first (if equiped).