Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Pings: 4 Degrrees now rather than 2-still pings-EGR system not working

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by _DeeVee8_, Mar 11, 2000.

1. _DeeVee8_

_DeeVee8_ 1/2 ton status

After solving the problem...."DEAD IGNITION.....MORE WOES!"

I have a newly installed Distributor and have advance the timing past what GM called for which was 2 degrees. It's now locked in at four degrees past, and I'm not getting the same amount of "VARRRROOOOM!" that I used to get. The Vacume advance now is working but the EGR system is non existant. I know that this helps cool the cylinders a little and may take the excess carbon out. Does anyone have any diagrams as to way my previous owner yanked out the EGR and plugged off the vacuum hoses? Was it to increase horseys? I'm runnin with a 350 stock engine headers and no CATS and dual flowmasters to expell the leftovers.

Would setting up a retro fit of an EGR system help ?

Again, your uncommon Wisdom and insults are ,um, welcome!

-Dv8

2. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Are you sure about the timing specs? I believe my '73 350 wants 10 or 12 degrees before top dead center, not after. Try it out.

3. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Get yourself a copy of the Chiltons manual for you 4x. Mine is General Motors Full size trucks 1980-87 Number (8577) 28622. It has diagrams for all the vaccume and EGR piping. Good Luck...

<font color=green>Eagle86K5

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Vacuum diagrams are specific to year, carb model, engine size, CA or 49 states, light duty or heavy duty, one Evap. canister or two canisters, air pump or not. As they mentioned below, get a Chilton's manual. It has all of them.

BTW, I removed all the hoses and EGR stuff, simply because it was cheaper and easier to install a new Non-EGR Edelbrock Performer Manifold than buying the EGR manifold and new EGR valve, and I changed to another q-jet carb model (again, cheaper). Also, my engine compartment looks much better now, especially after installing a dress-up kit.

I'm using the recommended 8deg BTC on the sticker in the hood. Mine is a 1979, 350, M4MC carb, 49 state, light duty, no air pump.

<font color=purple>////////
    Go 79s!!!
    </font color=purple>[​IMG]

5. Marlboro

Marlboro Registered Member

I would retard the timing abit. Advancing your timing will give you a few more ponies, but ping and run-on are the side effects. Try 2 BTC, and you will probably be alot happier. I run mine at 2-4 BTC, without any egr / smog crap and it runs like a champ.

Mike

6. _DeeVee8_

_DeeVee8_ 1/2 ton status

i tinkered with it and the ping magically dissappeared!

Thanks for your input..
    Now with the beast running I have some wheeling to catch up on!

See ya'll later!
    -Dv8

7. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

My 383 has 12 degrees base timing and total of 28 degrees @ 2500 rpm or so. This allows 87 oct pump gas with 9.5 cr. Might consider sweeting the oct rating if your pushing hard or pulling...

Glad to here the distributor fix worked.