Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine power

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by seanmp, Apr 17, 2004.

1. seanmp

seanmp Registered Member

looking for the biggest bang for the buck engine mods. Cash is an issue. need to regear 3.73 to 4.10 w/33" tires and the tranny is starting to slip What will an intake manafold with throttle body spacer do. '88 burb.

2. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

best bang for the buck (other than fixing the tranny issues)... open up the exhaust. put on a set of Thorley tri-y headers. If nothing else, for 110.00 you can put on some hedman headers and run a 2.25" or 2.5" true dual exhaust and gain some decent power. Most other upgrades are going to be limited by your exhaust.

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would take care of your tranny first and 3.73's aren't bad with 33's...a little high but nothing to cause problems really.

Really, money vs. performance, a good cam wins that because you can gain 30-40 HP just from a performance cam and a flat tappet hydro cam can be had for $100. The catch their is the installation, it's a pain just to switch a cam. You might also have computer issues with an 88'.

When I used to have a stock 350 in my K5 I noticed a power difference when I put on a single 2.5" exhaust system with a flowmaster and removed the catalyctic converter. Converters hog power( especially plugged ones).

Aluminum intake is a decent upgrade but then again you have a semi large job to get it installed. I would try getting a chip or something for it, that would probably be the easiest and cheapest route for a few extra ponies...

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If yur looking for more power. Exhaust should be the first thing you do. Improving the intake/fuel is useless if you cant get the gasses out the pipe.A performance exhaust will give you the most bang for your buck.
    3,73 and 33s aren't bad. Thats what I have always run with no problems.

5. seanmp

seanmp Registered Member

I currently have a 3" single from the Y pipe back, including the cat. Are the computer chips worth it, noticable differance? Will the rebuilt tranny make any improvement. I'm pulling it next weekend.

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Will the rebuilt tranny make any improvement. I'm pulling it next weekend.

[/ QUOTE ] Depends...just like a manual transmission, when it is in gear and not slipping than there will be no difference between an old one and new one. If it's in gear, it's in gear. I noticed a little better low RPM response when I had my th700 rebuilt. I used a special billet torque converter. My guess is you won't notice a difference besides the slipping but you will notice firmer, more solid shifts and cooler running temps. You aren't going to really gain all that much power from any "bolt" on upgrade, not something that you are going to feel in the seat of your pants. If you did a bunch of stuff like exhaust, headers, intake filter, computer chip, holley throttle body, etc... you would probably notice a pretty big difference but there again you will have a lot of money in all those mods. Best way to make more power in high amounts is build a motor for it. Also I think Whipple makes a supercharger that will bolt in. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Biggest bang for the buck for me was a BBC swap

Seriosuly though, I am a HUGE fan of cam swaps. If you swapped in a hotter cam, opened up the exhaust and put on a decent intake manifold, you would see quite a bit of difference...I am pulling my 454 out in a few weeks and putting a Crane 2030 cam to replace the 2020 that in there now from my rebuild last summer...I am also adding Edelbrock 60459 heads /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

But you can get a cam/lifter set for like $140 and new intake, oil pan, and timing cover gasket for like $35 or so.

Labor intensive? YES worth it YES!!!!

If you have a welder and a chop saw, you can do the majority of the exhaust work yourself! the headers can be spendy (i have the Thorley Tri-Ys and LOVE them but they were like $330!