Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine pricing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Buzz, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Buzz

Buzz Registered Member

I think I have decided on getting the 330/350 HO crate engine. I don't have the time to do it myself (need something for school) even though I talked to some of my friends about it and they could have helped. I was wondering about whether I should get the regular 350 HO engine ($2,100) that needs some parts or the 350 HO Deluxe ($3,100) that is complete? Do I have the parts that the regular one doesn't come with on my stock engine? Certainly those parts don't equal an extra grand? Any helpis appreciated. Thanks in advance. Blake (Oh and my birthday was this SB and I got some money so I think I am close to enough money for a lift and tires) :-D

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I would just get the base ($2100) engine. The manifold that comes on the deluxe I doubt is emission friendly, and the carb I'm sure is a street carb. If I remember right the only parts needed to put the base motor in a truck is a new flywheel if you are converting from a 305. If you have a 350 then it should just bolt in to your truck.

3. Buzz

Buzz Registered Member

Ok, thanks. It has a stock 350 in it so I guess I'm set. Oh, and my friends said dropping in a motor isn't that difficult or time consuming, if so I would be interested in this because I would like to gain some mechanical knowledge. Is this true? Thanks for your help.

4. Penthos

Penthos Registered Member

I did that to my '91 Blazer last summer. I bought the base 350HO/330hp from Pace (excellent price and people). This engine uses Vortec heads, so your stock manifold and driver side exhaust manifold won't work. The Vortec Manifold for TBI isn't cheap. I now wish I had bought the 350HO Deluxe and converted to a nice 4bbl carb. Email me for any questions, I'd be happy to answer what I did to my Blazer.

5. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

i bought the 350ho deluxe last winter..sure was damned pretty...came with more stuff than i expected too....
    it came with a nice chrome air filter, plugs and plugs wires already installed... got it from <a target="_blank" href=http://www.streetrodstuff.com> Street Rod Stuff</a> and really liked the service and the help they gave me on the shipping...

anyhow, i personally love the engine, took me a while to change out though, i didnt have an overhead crane, so i took off the front and found out later on here that its easier to pull the whole front clip rather than just pieces..
    i bought the deluxe model because i was changing out a 305, knew the intake/exhaust manifolds werent going to work, and i wasnt concerned about emissions...

anyhow here's some pics of the swap i did, i priced buying everything separate and decided it was easier to get the deluxe since i didnt mind the street carb...

<a target="_blank" href=http://photos.yahoo.com/bikershazam> Engine swap pics</a>

email if you have any questions

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Crap, I forgot about the exhaust manifolds not fitting because of the new vortec heads. I bought my 300 HP motor prior to the switch to the vortec heads, so everything just bolted up. You might want to buy the whole shabang, and then sell the carb &amp; manifold if your area isn't emission friendly.