Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine problem...please help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by possum, Mar 11, 2002.

1. possum

possum Registered Member

My truck doesn't want to start. I undid the fuel line into the carburetor and cranked the engine. It'll spit out the gas. But when the line is hooked up, gas isn't coming out of the jets. I unhooked the line again and had it spit some gas into the carburetor. It fired up again(after reattaching the fuel line) but didn't want to stay started. No gas. OK, bad carb. It's still under warranty so I returned it. The new carburetor ran for 1/2 day. Then same thing. Got a new carburetor, hooked it up and it ran fine last night. This morning nothing... won't work. What is wrong? I put the high test gas in there, always have. Why is she mad at me. I changed her oil and fluids, of all types. Giving her a face lift and all sorts of cosmetic surgery. What else could she want?
    Is it possible the fuel pump is still bad? I unhooked the fuel line and pump gas into a clear container and the gas looked real clean. No junk floating around in it to clog up the jets or anything. I really need some help here.
    350 motor by the way. I just can't believe all these carburetors are bad.

2. Stomp

Stomp 1/2 ton status

Sounds like your floats need adjusting? What kind of carb is it?

***Edit***
    Check your fuel line between your pump and the carb and make sure nothing is obstructing the flow (like a piece of plastic Sprinkler head) /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

3. possum

possum Registered Member

just a quadrajet. It's a new carb, everytime. It'll run for a little while, then won't start up again. It ran last night after installing it. I shut it off and started it again... just to make sure. It worked. This morning... nothing. As for adjusting the floats, you lost me. Can you do that without nullifying the warranty? And would every one of the carbs' floats need adjusting? The line will pump the gas to the carburator the gas just won't get through the jets. Weird. I don't think it's blocked because it'll run for a while.

4. Stomp

Stomp 1/2 ton status

When all else fails replace the fuel pump? WIERD

5. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

maybe there is something in the fuel tank, like rust or something of the nature. It runs til it plugs.

John

6. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Sounds like a fuel pump to me.
    Any way to hook a tee in line at the carb and check the fuel pressure? It might pump gas with no press. but create no real pressure to the carb.

7. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I side w/ the fuel pump. A friend of mine had a very similar problem. Changed the fuel pump, no more probs.

8. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

You might want to check the fuel filter. Sounds possibly like you may have some trash in your tank. So with the new carb you would have a new filter, possibly running fine until it clogs the filter up & then nothing. Fuel pumps do some weird stuff sometimes but it would seem strange if it is the fuel pump that it would work fine with a new carb ? I say try the fuel filter. Just my 2 cents.

9. Big_B_Murphy

Big_B_Murphy 1/2 ton status

I would also check the fuel filter. Remove the fitting on the Q-jet where the fuel goes in. It is behind there. Also are you running any other fuel filters--like an in-line filter? If you have both the in-line and the stock, that may be your problem.

10. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I had exactly the same problem about 2 weeks ago. To make a long story short, I had my Q-jet rebuilt (didn't need it), I removed the fuel filter in the carb and put in a larger in line filter, and put on a new fuel pump (which was the culprit the whole time). When I removed the fuel line and turned over the engine, it spit out fuel. It should have looked like a dam broke. Since you're symptoms are exactly the same as mine were, I'd start at the fuel pump and then go from there. If the tank was plugged, you wouldn't get any gas. When you remove the fuel pump you should be able to actuate it by hand and hear a LOUD suction sound, also, the lever should move around 1/4" or more. If there is not much sound and the lever doesn't move very much, It's shot. Spend the $20 and replace it. I really wish I would have looked there first. Also, make sure to be careful when you take the carb filter housing apart. I have seen tons of carbs messed up because that little fine thread piece was cross threaded.